Sign in to follow this  
chip61

hydro in 314

chip61

Looked at a 314-hydro today. Clean tractor with only 316 hours. Top speed forward seems a little slow, but reverse is extremely slow. Is this normal?? I like the tractor, but I'm not that familiar with hydros.

Thanks

Chip

welderman85

I have the same tractor with allmost 2000 hours on it the hydro is still strong and it only goes around 8 or 10 mph foward and a little slower in backwards not very fast but a greater tractor

boovuc

Could be blow-by meaning the tranny needs some work or it could be the linkage.

chip61

Thanks for the replies. Is $1000.00 reasonable for this tractor with a 42" deck??

Chip

oldredrider

Chip, shop around a bit. Better deals can be found in your area. Just my 2 cents.

welderman85

I got mine with around1000 hours three new tires and a good 48" deck for150.00

chip61

I thought that was a little high. I like this tractor, but I really need a 48" deck. Have reservations about the hydro on this unit anyway.

How about a 520H for $1500.00??

Thanks

Hydro

316 hours is nothing if the tractor has been given reasonable care.  It's more than likely a linkage adjustment.  Lifting up the seat should tell you by looking at the motion control.  I have a 97 314 which has been extensively modified incorporating many of the 520 features as well as a foot motion pedal. 

I bought a 416-8 just to get the bigger Kohler engine. The Hydro in the 314 is the same Eaton 1100 used in the 520. The 14 Kohler is an excellent engine.  It will handle a 48 inch deck with no problem.  Too bad it does not come with one.  I upgraded engines to better power a 2 stage blower.

1997 was the last year of the Hydro for Wheel Horse and I think the last year they used the Kohler Magnum series engine before switching to the OHV.  For a single it is pretty smooth.

FYI

Edited by Hydro