Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

Mowing in third gear - good or bad

tomtractor

I have a C120.  So what are the thoughts about mowing in third gear. Third gear works the motor and mower deck. Am I hurting the machine?  The cut is OK which is fine by me.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I don't see any issue with it if you have the open space to use it.  If you can get a decent cut with it I'd use it.  You'll probably get better airflow to the engine in 3rd too.  I wouldn't mind using 3rd but I have too many obstacles and the terrain doesn't support it. 

tomtractor

I guess why not right? When mowing in third gear it just seam like the whole unit needs to work harder.  I will probably sharpen my blades more often.  

Hydro

I have an 8 speed and a Hydro.  Over different times in the summer I will use both tractors just to give the 8 speed some run time.  With a normal amount of rain the grass is reasonably thick.  I find second gear to be a bit slow but for the most part 3rd gear is too fast for me to get a good cut.  In dry periods when the lawn thins out, there are places I could cut in 3rd but I don't.

leeave96

Timely topic as I've been mowing this year with a Wheelhorse 314-8 and a gear drive IH Cub Cadet 126

Wheelhorse mph

1st = 2.0

2nd = 3.2

3rd = 5.5

Rev = 2.6

The IH Cub Cadet mph

1st = 2.3

2nd = 3.9

3rd = 6.9

Rev = 2.5

Sometimes 2nd gear on the WH seems a tad slow. 2nd on the CC is FAST. I get a good cut, but if the ground is lumpy, the ride is harsh.

1st gear on the CC is a bit to fast for close trimming, so I find myself riding the clutch. 1st on the WH is perfect.

The next series of Cub Cadets came with a 2nd gear that was 3.5 mph. That might be the perfect gear between quality of cut and comfort of ride.

So to answer the OP's question, I'd say that if you don't beat yourself and the tractor to death and the quality of cut is good, I see no harm. I see these zero turn mowers going flat out all the time. The Wheelhorse is a heavy duty mower too.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

I know what you guys are talking about. My C series (8 speed) always felt too slow in 2nd high, but too fast in 3rd for mowing since my yard does have some rough spots. I decided to change the input pulley on the trans to a slightly smaller diameter pulley. 2nd high is just about perfect for mowing now.

Sparky

You dont say what size deck. It makes a difference if you using a 36" or a 48"er in third gear.

I'm never in a rush to finish mowing so I use 2nd gear with any of my eight speeds reguardless of the deck size.

Mike........

• Like 1

Butch

If you have a nice bluegrass lawn you won't get a nice cut at high speed. If you don't have a nice lawn it doesn't matter what gear you're in. I mow in Hi-1. I've also been mowing every two days. Grass is growing like crazy with this  cool, wet weather.

can whlvr

i mow some areas in third,if i keep up with the grass it will look just fine

Fordiesel69

3rd is fun.  It really openes up the governor and makes the exhaust notes sound great.

My 312-8 w/ 48" deck works like a champ.  With a 42" it doesn't even work hard.

over60pirate

On my 414-8, I changed the gearing, with a pulley change. (Higher top speed) Now, mowing in 2nd gear is nice, and sometimes if it looks like it might start raining, I mow in 3rd, and fly around the yard. My grass is not exactly golf course quality. and doesn't look any different, mowed in 2nd or 3rd gear.

MalMac

Unless you have a golf course green smooth lawn, all your doing is shorting the life of the tractor. I have seen tractors that people mow in 3rd and the tractor is as loose as a goose. Spindles, tie rods, front wheel bearings, axel pivot pin all worn out or extremely loose not to mention the beating the deck takes. These are garden tractors not ZTR's that are designed to mow a lot quicker. Each to their own but if you compare a tractor that has mowed in 2nd or 1st compared to one that's been used in 3rd you will see a big difference. I do agree that 2nd does seem slow at times and maybe a different ratio would be in order but not as fast as 3rd.

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

We all are going to be healthy and happy with whatever on our older horses.

ZTs are nice but you better have your Med insurance up to date when back problems

come into play. Nothing worse on the slightest rough ground than a wide open ZT.

MalMac

specialwheelhorse, You are 100% right about that. That ZT I have is the most bone jarring thing I have ever rode on it's right up there with Navy flat bottom landing craft in rough seas. I only use it for the tightest of spots. Everything else goes to the Horse's

• Like 1

leeave96

We all are going to be healthy and happy with whatever on our older horses.

ZTs are nice but you better have your Med insurance up to date when back problems

come into play. Nothing worse on the slightest rough ground than a wide open ZT.

I totally agree.  The ride on my IHCC 126 - when the ground get's bumpy and I'm in 2nd gear is pretty rough.  I'm beginning to appreciate the merits of a slower 2nd gear on the Wheelhorse.

I think if I want to get more yard mowed without vibrating out the fillings in my teeth I need to find a 60 inch deck for my 520-H or better yet, find a 60 inch deck and a 520-8... ;)

• Like 1

dsholler

Those of us here in the CT woods are a bit puzzled. There is one section of my yard that I might be able to mow in 2nd high without hitting any rocks or trees... but it is the bit right in front of the house, where I would like the cut to be the nicest.. For the rest of it, I am lucky that there are some sections where (after I have done the edges of the section) that I can take it out of 3 low and put it into 1 high.

Tankman

Mow in 2nd or 3rd depending on terrain, wet or dry, height of the grass.

Dry 'n crisp, I zoom in 3rd when mowin' open spaces without ruts, rocks, whatever.

Wet grass, 2nd or even 1st depending on the grass height. Enjoy the ride.

I don't see how mowing in 3rd hurts any of my Stallions. I treat the Horses for any job well done. :smile:

• Like 1

tomtractor

On my 414-8, I changed the gearing, with a pulley change. (Higher top speed) Now, mowing in 2nd gear is nice, and sometimes if it looks like it might start raining, I mow in 3rd, and fly around the yard. My grass is not exactly golf course quality. and doesn't look any different, mowed in 2nd or 3rd gear.

So what is this about changing the pulley?  Which pulley?  Is it an easy change or is it hard to change and cost a lot?  Has many people done this.  What could be the drawbacks from changing the pulley?

farmer

Mowing in 3rd,    unthinkable.........I keep looking for 4th ! :auto-layrubber:  :ychain:

Depends on,

How smooth's the ride.

How longs the grass.

How wets the grass.

How much it hurts your @ss.

How many other jobs 'Er indoors has lined up for you. :)

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

I'm with farmer on the honey-dew projects, if that's the case I can get real comfy with 1st gear.

• Like 1

rick

Usually need to mow in 1st High with a stick, only because of terrain. That is why I enjoy the 416H so much,

Wyattrrp

I almost always mow in 3rd High with either the 48" or 42" as long as the grass is not wet.  Only 1 area of the yard has tree roots near the surface so need to slow to 1st High then back to 3rd.  I sharpen blades razor sharp 3 times a season (I know others disagree with the sharp vs 45 deg pitch cutting edge lasting) but I have done this since brand new in '81 for the C-125 and get great grass cut.  Only issue is when turning corners the replacement seat onthe 312-8 is too smooth.  In 3rd I need either to lock my foot under the brake pedal and hang on or slip the clutch until back on the striaght away. 

Never felt the C-125 or 312 underpowered with either deck in 3rd.  Cut is nice and only reason I ever insisted on 2nd was when the kids were mowing with C-125 42" so they wouldn't fall off or run into a tree!  Wife did hit a pole once so she used the slipping clutch after that one!  Mow 1 acre in less than an hour with moderate numbr of obsticles to turn tight around.

3600 RPM 3rd works for me...

Wyatt

• Like 2

farmer

If I'm in a hurry I find hanging over the inside wheel 'sidecar' style helps reduce wheel spin during turns.    :hide:

In my defence my lawn is pretty smooth and I cut often, (not many clippings)

over60pirate

So what is this about changing the pulley?  Which pulley?  Is it an easy change or is it hard to change and cost a lot?  Has many people done this.  What could be the drawbacks from changing the pulley?

I replaced the orig trans pulley, with a 4 1/2" one, and put on a 79" belt. The belt and pulley were less than $35. Very easy to do.

1 st gear in low range will be slightly faster, but still, slower than slow!  I haven't seen any disadvantage with it.

papaglide

When I use my 416-8, I use 2 hi for normal cutting and 1 hi for getting in close and stuff like that. I have a Cub 1864 with a 54" deck that I cut most of my 2 acres with. Its a hydro but I guess that I only go a touch faster that the WH in 2 hi goes. It can cut nice faster but that speed is VERY comfy for me!