Sign in to follow this  
tomtractor

Gravely 812

tomtractor

Does anyone know anything about the Gravely 812 tractor.  Week point and strong points.  I am looking to purchase one and can't find much info on them.  Anyone ever had one?

VinsRJ

If I am thinking of the correct model... they are pretty complicated tractors.

squonk

My neighbor has one. I had a chance to drive it once when he wanted me to tune it up for winter. Hated it. The seat height is too close to the floor board height. Felt like I was sitting on the ground. I tuned it up for snowplow duty and then he went to Florida so it never got run in the snow. He has a yard as big as an ant's back. He starts it up once in a while to move scrap lumber from his shed to the side of the road and that's about it. Gravely Kohler sounds like a Horsie Kohler. :)

Edited by squonk

tomtractor

I know I am talking to the wrong people if I want to know which is better, wheel horse or gravely.  But really - is the Gravely 812 Good, Great or sucks?  It seems to have a good reputation but I am worried that the mechanics are to complex and it might be expensive to fix.  I am also itchy to get a new tractor.  Large mower deck is the goal.  50-54 inch deck.  

squonk

They are tanks but I wouldn't want one. I'd take a Cub if a Horse wasn't available. Now an old walk behind Gravely with electric start and a Sno-Cannon is another matter :thumbs:

leeave96

I think the 812 is probably a good tractor.  The knowledge base just based on sales of tractors might cause some difficulty in finding online help - but just as Wheelhorse folks gather, I'm sure you could find folks to help with the 812.  For some reason, I think the 812 is a 12 hp tractor.  That alone might make a 54ish inch deck not a desirable size for this tractor.

Good luck!

Bill