Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

Dimension needed: Engine output shaft to frame

wh500special

This might be better classified in the "engines" thread, but my question is more specific to the tractor than the engine...

I am in the process of replacing a missing engine on a C-series tractor with one of those el cheapo 10 hp Chinese diesels I bought on clearance really, really cheap at a store who was going out of business (yes, this is a can of worms but the price was WAY less than you/I would have ever imagined). It was a C161-8 that has the cradle that isolates the motor from the frame. I don't have a tractor handy to compare with, so I am looking for a measurement:

What is the distance from the top of the frame rail to the centerline of the engine output shaft?

I'd imagine that this geometry didn't change much over the lifespan of the C/B/300/400/500 series design since all the powered implements are supposed to fit the various tractors. Thru the years the different engines mounted in many ways: directly to the frame on some, on the "shaker" cradle on others, on a flat plate on some, on a raised platform, etc. But the crankshaft location relative to the frame probably was a constant...or awefully close to a constant.

Doesn't have to be super accurate since there is some takeup in the drive and PTO belts, but closer is better so it aligns acceptably. As it looks, I can spitball that I need a 5/8" shim under my new motor but I'd rather not guess if I can avoid it.

I plan to jettison the cradle since the baseplate of the replacement motor won't fit in there. I will have to make a bracket for the PTO clutch bail to fit into, but that isn't a big deal and I can rob one of one of my junkers if I get back down to where they are stored. if I don't raise the engine more than about 3/4", it ought to fit under the hood but I will have to figure something out for the air cleaner which wants to occupy the same space as the side of the hood. Since this thing has a perfect hood, I will just hang it in the shed if I can't get it to fit rather than punch a hole in it and wait for this new engine to explode so I can re-replace it with an old Kohler or something.

Any help with that measurement is appreciated!

Steve

dieselhorse

I dont have a horse to measure as I only have a 8-8spd from 1973. You should be able to guesstimate it using the belt cover as a guide, on all the horses I have had, the belt should just clear the top edge of the cover when running on the correct dia pulley. That diesel might just supprise you, I have repowered 2 GT's with the 4.5hp version and both run like a fine swiss watch. Like any of the newer engines, including Kohlers, they are a crapshoot as they are all about made overseas. Those new slanted bore Kohlers are not even made in the states anymore. Make sure you run diesel rated motor oil in them, I use shell Rotella T 15w40, same as my pickup truck diesel. And change it after an hour or so of mid rpm running, no wide open running at first. The chinese seem to be horrible about getting all the fine crud and shavings out of thier motors. I ran both of my repowers at mid throttle to get them warmed up and anything loose in there into the oil, then I drained it right away, while they were hot and left the drain plug out till not a single drip came out anymore. Patience is a virtue here. Both of my diesels had minor fuel leaks between the injector and the injector pump, but both were easily corrected. If you need diesel help, feel free to contact me off board. If the centerline of the K181 on the 8-8spd helps, I will measure it. I wonder how far you are from Kokomo? Cheers Mike T

Rod(NASNUT)

My C-105 has the cradle that isolates the motor from the frame is that the measurement you need if so I will get it SAT.

wh500special

Thanks guys.

Diesel - didn't realize you were in Kokomo. I am probably about 100 miles (maybe less) west of you. Can you hear the "Kokomo Buzz" over your engine B) ? If I run into engine trouble, you'll be sure to hear from me.

Rod - My C has the cradle like your 105, but it needs to come off since the new motor's mounting footprint is too long to fit in the trough of the cradle. So, i am actually looking for the measurement from the top of the tractor's FRAME to the centerline of the output shaft on the engine.

i will be back with my tractors tomorrow and I can then measure the distance on one of my others on my own, but since I currently have access to steel and a milling machine at the shop, I thought I'd hope somebody could give me the data before I left work for the weekend.

Thanks much!

Steve

TT

I hope I can catch you in time, Steve.

6 1/4" to the centerline on a single, and 6 3/4" to centerline on a twin. B)

wh500special

Holy smoke TT, that was fast, thorough, and undoubtedly accurate considering the source. Thanks for the great customer service! B)

Now, to see if I can squeeze this in before hitting the road...

Thanks again to all,

Steve