Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Mowing Deck Size: 52" vs. 48"

Challenger

I have the opportunity to buy my choice of a new 48" deck or a new 52" deck for my 522xi.  The seller will let me have one but not both.

Which would you choose?

I have a  2 acre lawn, mostly wide open with minimal landscaping.  (a few trees and bushes)

Any first hand experience on which deck might be known for better cut quality?  Is one size better built than another?

I've always used 48", never tried a 52" deck.  The chosen deck will stay on the tractor so ease of mount/dismount is not a big factor.

Opinions please.

Thanks.

Amanda

If I was in your situation I would go with the 48". 

Challenger

If I was in your situation I would go with the 48". 

Why?  A little more info. please.

thanks.

Hodge71

It would definitely help to know more as to which 52 inch deck you speak of. Your question is way to vague to narrow things down. We would know that by the machine youre putting it on.There was a 52" for the 200 series tractors and another for the XI series machines. From what I have heard (because I would never own either moodel) The deck on the 200 series machines was much thinner metal that the 48" from our B,C,D,3,4,5 series machines. It was a lso noisier than the "Classic" deck. Now the XI deck was supposed to be a bit better but I dont think you can go wrong with the 48 classic deck. They've lasted for 40 years and I bet they'll be around for much longer 

• Like 1

Challenger

Mr. Hodge,

My post states 522xi.  I also make clear the size of my lawn and some of the landscaping information to be considered.

I'll gladly ad any more information that might be helpful to make things less vague.  What more would you suggest please?

Thanks.

Amanda

It's my opinion there is really no which one is better I would just have more use for the smaller one due to things to mow around...

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

I have never used the 52" either but that classic 48" is a great deck. They are strong, simple design and cut great. Also, the design had been around for sometime!!!! Just stating the obvious I know!

• Like 1

Hodge71

Mr. Hodge,

My post states 522xi.  I also make clear the size of my lawn and some of the landscaping information to be considered.

I'll gladly ad any more information that might be helpful to make things less vague.  What more would you suggest please?

Thanks.

I'm very sorry mister challenger. I somehow read the very vague post you had made in the tractors section and somehow replied to this one. Thats what happens when you multipost the same topic and same title in 2 different sections. I'm very sorry for the mistake on my part. After reading your post here I would still say the choice is yours. If you think 4 inches of deck is going to make a difference then get your 52" mand youll be happy. Why not get a 60"? That 522 would definitely run the heck out of that beast and you'd really pick up some major time over the 48.... 

Jim_M

The 52's draw a lot of vacuum and lift the grass well. My 52" cuts better than my old 48" did. It's heavy, and well built.

leeave96

I don't have a 5xi tractor, but I'd be tempted to try the 52 inch deck. I'm wondering if you would get more blade overlap?

Hydro

I was just looking at both styles you are considering.  I have two 48's.  The thing I like about the 52 is that it rides on 4 guide wheels.  The Classic system rides on two and relies on a level adjustment rod to keep the front of the deck level.  Looks to me like the discharge is less obstructed with the 48 so may stay cleaner underneath.  I mow 1 1/2 acres with my 48.  Both are too big for small yards so I would grab the 52.  There's a lot more 48's around if you do want one for some reason down the road.

Don't know if you checked out the accessories, here's a link

http://www.newhavenpower.com/toro_5xi_Series_Attachment_index.html

Edited by Hydro