meadowfield

Super Bendy 4x4 wheel horse

Wishin4a416

Looks great!!

AMC RULES

Here.    :laughing-rolling:   :laughing-rolling:

Wonder, will that towel absorb oil spills too?    :) 

• Like 1

meadowfield

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G cant wait for first run/driver video

james

me neither...

Sure looks awesome with the hood and motor on it.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

starting to look like I have dreamt for a few years :D

Pass me a towel please...

I'm drooling over here.  :icecream:

will the drool dilute the oil leaks  :ychain:

Looks great!!

thanks!

Edited by meadowfield

meadowfield

well, I've made progress but am disappointed it hasn't started or driven...

I was optimistic and naive that it would just come together today and work, however a few things have stopped me....

1. I bought the motor unseen, upon sitting it on the frame and lifting the dipstick there's no end on it. Did it snap and fall in the bottom?

2. The motor overhangs the frame and will need a small mod - I already knew this

3. My throttle and choke cables haven't arrived.

4. The motor has no fuel pump!

So I've got the clutch and brake linkages sorted. It went together really nicely with very little modification. Just a new link arm to pull the brake band.

IMG_3208_zpsc1c30a4f.jpg

On the reverse side I repurposed the clutch idler, but added a Land Rover Discovery cambelt tensioner as a reverse idler.

IMG_3206_zps73c7c8fa.jpg

Further downsides, the belt arrived but is too long... my engine pulley really needs to be a taperlock as it's from a briggs and was held on by a bolt.The magnum doesn't have a thread in the drive end.

So it's a reasonable shopping list this week:

Battery

Seat

Taperlock bush and pulley

Longer belt

Fuel bung and tap for tank

Fuel pump

Starter switch

Solenoid

• Like 4

Jparkes43

Oh dear sound like the pennies are diping away at quite a rate! Sure you'll battle through the issues and have her done in no time at all.

James

ol550

If the oil pan is tapped you can bolt the overhang side from the bottom.  If not all the pans I have seen have enough

meat to them to be drilled and tapped.  If I remember correctly the holes for bolting from the bottom are inline

with the pan bolt holes, so you can drill and tap from the top side.  But you need to check for sure.

Nice build and keep up the pics.

Edited by ol550

tbarnhart

Mark, you may want to think about moving your clutch idler to the rear of the belt. The front side is under load tension and will tend to loosen the belt the harder it is loaded. Belts always work best with the tensioner on the slack side. Maybe you already have a plan to take care of the problem. It will work as you have it until you really put it under load, then the tension will pull the belt forward and loose.

• Like 1

meadowfield

Glad you pointed that out, I've gone for simplest solution so far... I can see now that under load it will take tension away and the belt will loosen.

I will take a look at swapping at around, I have a feeling that's going to create some pain... But I need to fix it now rather than later :)

Don1977

Glad you pointed that out, I've gone for simplest solution so far... I can see now that under load it will take tension away and the belt will loosen.

I will take a look at swapping at around, I have a feeling that's going to create some pain... But I need to fix it now rather than later :)

Just add a longer arm and push belt out on the other side.

Welsh Wheelhorses

Great Project your patience amazes me.

meadowfield

Just add a longer arm and push belt out on the other side.

That's the plan :D

bmsgaffer

Only one thing to say, my cunning plan works :D

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Please tell me this has a thread already!

I have been engineering one of those in my head for a while now and I wold love to see how you did it. You put that on any WH (even 2wd) and it would be UNstoppable. It would be the ultimate addition to my ultimate winter plow machine.

meadowfield

Please tell me this has a thread already!

I have been engineering one of those in my head for a while now and I wold love to see how you did it. You put that on any WH (even 2wd) and it would be UNstoppable. It would be the ultimate addition to my ultimate winter plow machine.

Of course :D

Here's the build...

Catmanii

well, I've made progress but am disappointed it hasn't started or driven...

I was optimistic and naive that it would just come together today and work, however a few things have stopped me....

1. I bought the motor unseen, upon sitting it on the frame and lifting the dipstick there's no end on it. Did it snap and fall in the bottom?

2. The motor overhangs the frame and will need a small mod - I already knew this

3. My throttle and choke cables haven't arrived.

4. The motor has no fuel pump!

So I've got the clutch and brake linkages sorted. It went together really nicely with very little modification. Just a new link arm to pull the brake band.

IMG_3208_zpsc1c30a4f.jpg

On the reverse side I repurposed the clutch idler, but added a Land Rover Discovery cambelt tensioner as a reverse idler.

IMG_3206_zps73c7c8fa.jpg

Further downsides, the belt arrived but is too long... my engine pulley really needs to be a taperlock as it's from a briggs and was held on by a bolt.The magnum doesn't have a thread in the drive end.

So it's a reasonable shopping list this week:

Battery

Seat

Taperlock bush and pulley

Longer belt

Fuel bung and tap for tank

Fuel pump

Starter switch

Solenoid

Yep, it's the little things that drive you nuts. Still your down to the short list now and it won't be long before it's going strong. Amazing as always.

meadowfield

Well some goodies turned up....

3bae9b8b63a74fab66857c9b2b0b0c25_zpse8fb

And someone challenged me (Nathan) and being the competitive type I got home late last night with getting bendy running...

So I've been up since 8, bolting bits together... Thanks to Chris for the fuel tank and ian for the fuel pump.

Here's the result of blowing fuel for into the carb and cranking from a jump start.

Project bendy, Magnum 16 first engine start: http://youtu.be/C3rJSq09yk4

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 1

Jparkes43

yay she runs, where you running it straight from the carb and ungoverned? she's a smoker too!

great work

james

Brrly1

It's a Great feeling to see something come to life for the first time! Congrats! I can't wait to see the first drive. Video's of course!!

meadowfield

It's a Great feeling to see something come to life for the first time! Congrats! I can't wait to see the first drive. Video's of course!!

Here you go John....

http://youtu.be/b4N1Ow3cziA

• Like 7

Catmanii

That's the coolest thing ever. I want one,  :)

AMC RULES

Looks great Mark. Just have to be careful...     :scared-eek: 

at full articulation looks like your heel could get caught in the pinch point. 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

IT BENDS! Yay awesome work

Jame s

Brrly1

Oh yeah! It looks like it runs great! Nice work for sure. I bet you can't wait to get the ol' girl bolted all back together. Is this one going to climb the walls as well? 

meadowfield

Oh yeah! It looks like it runs great! Nice work for sure. I bet you can't wait to get the ol' girl bolted all back together. Is this one going to climb the walls as well?

Not sure John, I don't have the same clearance at the front end.... But I will find a new challenge for sure :)

That's the coolest thing ever. I want one,  :)

Not for sale yet.... :D

Looks great Mark. Just have to be careful...     :scared-eek: 

at full articulation looks like your heel could get caught in the pinch point. 

There's more tin work to go on Craig

IT BENDS! Yay awesome work

Jame s

Thanks James

meadowfield

short update...

New RHS engine mount and combined Clutch pivot has allowed me to move the clutch arm to the right side of the belt :D

IMG_20140928_191635_zpssfjt7akh.jpg

So now the clutch works  :banana-tux:

IMG_20140928_184556_zpswwxeyumx.jpg

Went to start it so I could test it - and the carb decided to pack up, so it's been stripped and cleaned.

IMG_20141003_145303_zps1c4jgdio.jpg

I'm going to have to pull the head at some point as its really badly coked up, the engine knocks and smokes a little. Best decoke before I look at a major overhaul...

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Not a huge amount to show...

Footplates are mounted

IMG_20141004_195021_zps4nhd6c5b.jpg

Seat base almost there

IMG_20141004_194950_zpslu6ppfgb.jpg

And clutch finished :D

This pic also maybe gives a little more away....

IMG_20141005_181159_zpshrqrdl7q.jpg

• Like 1