Fordiesel69

Video: How well a 312-8 powers a 48" SD Mower?

Fordiesel69

I asked on here about it, and was quite skeptical about trying it.  However I just lubed, and sharpend up a recently aquired deck, and decided to slap it on and mow my neighbors grass.  (Mine was already cut)

To my surprise, I was able to stay in 3rd high the entire time.  You can hear the gov open up a bit while the M12 powers thru it, but judging by the sound of the exhuast notes, I don;t beleive the engine sounded overworked.  Next few weeks I will try again and try to mow up the hill the opposite way to see how it does.  Now I can see why the 12HP was so popular.  It is all the power you need, maybe not as fast though. 

http://youtu.be/4UyxveuxxfE

• Like 2

leeave96

Good grief!!! 3rd high - LOL

I've been thinking (for me) that 2nd high is plenty fast and I just got going an old IH Cub Cadet 126 gear drive. The 2nd gear high is much faster than the Wheelhorse!

Nice cut it looks like your getting.

Good luck,

Bill

• Like 1

DoctorHfuhruhurr

My 310-8 came with a 48" deck when I purchased it used and it's always served me well.

Ken B

I always wonder why some guys say a 12 hp can't handle a 48 inch deck. I had a Cub Cadet 125, 12 hp with a hydro and it handled a 48 inch deck no problemo, and it was a little tired to boot. If my little Suburban with its 4 hp can handle a 32 inch deck I think a 12 hp can handle a 48. Lawn looks good!

WH nut

I dont remember where i read it, but It was stated that 4 inches a horse was the rule of thumb for deciding deck size. With that being said, there are a lot of mowers running a deck a little to large.

Fordiesel69

I will add, that although 2nd gear would have produced a nicer cut, that side lawn is just a field that they don;t care about.  But 3rd seemed to do a good job.

The ends of these blades are worn a bit, so if you don;t slightly overlap, you will get an uncut line.

I can see why the C121 that this beck came off of burned oil and subsequently siezed up, the blades were so dull the cutting edge was uniform to the side of the blade.  As in "no" sharpness at all.

Fordiesel69

Wanted to share another experiance that was mind blowing.  Had a 5 acre overgrown field that was too wet to cut with the 30 HP diesel 72", so out came the C-121 hydro w/ fresh 6 hour old .010/.010 rebuilt K301.  With the 48" SD deck in the fully raised postion which was still a little low, I was able to blast thru this wet grass in full throttle full forward speed.  The engine sure loaded down quite a bit but was able to just blow right thru it.  The overall cut was not great, but very acceptable.

After this the oil still looked like new.

JackC

WOW.  That was cutting through that grass like butter.  

12 horses can do a lot of work especially if they have wheels on them and wear a wheel horse logo.

608KEB

I mow with a 75 C-120 Hydro 48" SD deck. I heard you lose about 2 hp due to the hydro. It doesn't bog down at all. I want a 16 hp at some point but I can't justify it with how much power the 12 hp has.

Tankman

Never had a problem mowin' with Kohler 12 hp's and 48" deck. The 12 hp Kohler IMHO is a go-to engine when it's time to wo.....wo.....work! 

I wouldn't worry at all, runnin' a 48" deck with one of my 12 hp Kohlers'. If I need to avoid trees, rocks, whatever, I do slow down using a lower gear.  :)

PS. I most always mow when grasses are dry.

Edited by Tankman

Hydro

I've run a 48" deck with a 312H and it does cut but the engine is always working.  I have used a 416H (0nan) 520 (0nan) 314H(Kohler) and now the M16  all with 48" decks.  My grass is fairly thick and often wet.  The M16 works sometimes other times it loafs along just has the Onan 16 did.  The 520 never worked at all.   

I think the 12 is better suited to a 42" deck especially if it's a hydro.  My guess would be with the standard transmission it would do the job with an 8 speed in 2nd gear.  It all depends I guess on your lawn and how fast you want to travel.

leeave96

The grass at my house is VERY thick and sometimes even with a 36 inch RD deck, I can hear the governor come in a bit.

520H - no sweat!

ericj

you better watch running 3rd high with the 48" deck alway up. i've heard that running like that can break the frame of your tractor. all that weight bouncing around could be to much for the frame were the foot rest rods go through. i had a 520 with a 60" deck that was broken when i bought it and was told about a guy that broke a 416 doing what you were doing, so becarefull

eric j 

Wheel-N-It

This is why all along I have said the 312-8 was overall the best Wheel Horse ever built !

Tankman

This is why all along I have said the 312-8 was overall the best Wheel Horse ever built !

Wouldn't know Wheel-N-It, never owned a 300 series WH.

From my little Herd, the 400's were it (416-8 and the 414-8 Magnum) until I got this Onan '90 520-8.

A little apprehensive (Onan stories), I went to work on the 520. Now, using this Stallion almost daily, I can state from experience, "WOW!"

Today I flew, and I mean flew, through an acre of 6" grass. Shaved off half (3") and never once a grown, burp or complaint from this Stallion. This '90 520-8 and I are now "best buds!"

Guess I have WHA (Wheel Horse Addiction) or I'm just nuts?  :woohoo:

Edited by Tankman

Wyattrrp

I have a C-125-8 12 HP Kohler with a 42" deck used full speed 3rd gear for 30 years. A little over 1 acre lawn and other areas outside the lawn near the barn etc.  Recent years got a 312-8 Kohler Magnum with 48" deck use it 3600 RPM 3rd gear to mow either full height or next to top level.  Great cut and never had an issue of overloading the governor.  Lawn is nice n thick in most ares.  I love the 12 HP Magnum.  Seems the perfect size for power for mowing and blowing and plowing vs gas consumption.  I do keep the blades very sharp vs the 45 angle blunt cutting edge.  Had same blades 25 yrs and didnt sharpen to wear them down of wear too thin to still give good cutting surface. 

48" allows the normal overlap of mowing passes to still cut about 42" per pass.  Using a much smaller 37" you only really cut a 30" -31" path so if small lawn great.  Otherwise 1 ac or more the 48" is great with a 12HP.  No power issue unless cutting a hayfield in up position and grass is 12 inches tall. (which I also do from time to time)  Just shift to 2nd and ok with that too.

That is my story and I'm sticking with it!

Wyatt