Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Sundstrand Hydro.... How "hot" is normal....

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I picked up a C120 Auto with manual lift a few weeks ago for my son the hydro "nut".  Oil was crystal clear in the trans (motor oil of some weight... its honey colored) anyways, he drove the wheels off of it today---full throttle for an entire tank of gas and it never slowed down or showed any signs of even remotely being weak. But when it ran out of gas I walked over and put my hand on the trans and it was Hooooooooooootttttt.... not cherry red hot but I think leaving my hand oh there for an extended amount of time wouldnt be pleasant---I know theres a rule somewhere that if you can hold your hand on it for 2-3 seconds it correlates to something less than 150 degrees (maybe Im way off.....)

So you hydro guys---do these units run this warm when put through there paces?

Like I said---no signs of weakness after an extended run---I just wonder if it needs a different oil or nothing at all.

Thanks

Tony

Fordiesel69

On my 875 the fan has been busted for years, it has gotten hot and I have not had issues with it.  I don;t know how hot it too hot.

Wheelhorsedairyfarmer

My charger 12 gets hot fast and to the point it won't move an inch. From what I'm told they get hot, but sometimes getting hot can be a sign of a pump going bad. :(

pfrederi

On the D series Sundstrands it says 250 is unacceptable. Stop immediately... I wouldn't run it over 200 for very long. 

JamesBe1

Don't the sunstrand pumps have a spot for connecting a temp gage?  Not sure which tractors have them and which don't.  Some of the D series have them.

SunPro probably makes a cheap gage that you can hook up for a while and let you know how hot it's getting.  Might be worth its weight in gold.