Sign in to follow this  
jeremi3210

d200 hydro trouble

jeremi3210

Hello iam helping a friend work on his d200. The problem we have is the hydro can only barly move the tractor. First we made sure the push valve is closed, second we replaced the hydro pump no change in power. We put fresh oil in it and a napa 1410 oil filter. I think the problem is in the motor is there any way to test it? Thanks

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Hi Jeremi.

Well, how sure are you about the quality of the second hydro pump?  Have you taken any pressure readings?  Does the 3-point hitch work properly?  That would give you an indication as to the state of the charge pump inside the hydro pump.

There should be a manual in the documents section here for testing the hydro system.  It will tell you what pressure you should see at the port on the hydro pump.

Also, are the controls working properly?  Can you see the arm on the side of the hydro pump moving when you move the control lever?

If you are sure about the hydro pump, then the problem has to be with the motor.  Also, you should consider swapping out the hydro motor with a known good used one.  They are much easier to replace than the hydro pump.  While you have it off, check the oil screen in the tranny.  Often they get gunked up and starve the pump for oil.

What kind of sounds is the tractor making when you move the lever?

jeremi3210

the motion control seems to move ok. The lift cyclinders move dont know how mich pressure they get. When it starts slipping the pump wines pretty loud. I think i will check the screen behide the motot next anyone have a good used motor?

pfrederi

Was this a sudden onset problem or has it been getting worse over time?  If there is a 3pt will it lift you up??  Sudden problem I would definitely check the screen behind the motor.

JamesBe1

I would pull the motor and check the screen.  There is a gasket on one of the bolts that you will probably need to replace if you pull the motor.  Dunno if the old one can be reused or not.  I wouldn't.

Here is a link with a source for two gaskets that work:

If the screen is ok, and you believe that oil is getting to the pump (the line could be clogged, but I have never seen/hear of that), then you can post a wanted advert here, or check ebay.  I often see parted out tractors there.  I doubt that you could find something like that on craigslist.

Also, here is a link to the wheel horse hydro manual to tell you how to check the pressures.  It could be that you swapped out a bad pump with another bad pump.

Good luck and let us know how it is coming along.  Post some pics of your progress, they are worth a thousand words.

j

jeremi3210

Ok so now we have replaced the hydro motor and still its no good. Is there anyway the problem could be in the high press release? I did hook a gauge up to it today and full throtle is 75 psi when the lift is used it will go up to 700. When its warm the lift press is about 350. The press stays close to 75. When it starts moving it drops out to little or nothing. Any ideas would be great, thanks in advance.

JamesBe1

Here is a good thread where Britt (coldone) posted a vid of his pressure readings.  Pretty informative.  It seems to match what you have stated with the exception of the pressure dropping out to little or nothing when it starts moving.

How much do you know about the previous pump and motor?  Did you actually see them run the tractor it came out of? 

BTW, what was the condition of the screen when you pulled the motor?

coldone

Sounds like the pump needs to be refurbed. Did you pull the hydro motor apart and see its condition? I am guessing that there is scoring on the valve plates in both the motor and pump. Check the motor internals,if they are scored up then more than likely the pump is too. If so the hardest part of refurbing either one is getting them pulled and put back on.

jeremi3210

I think my next step is gonna be taking apart the old pump and checking it.

Hodge71

I had a great post on here about rebuilding a hydro pmp from a D series machine. The hydro mototr is basically the same process. I unfortunately cannot find it so that I can link it to you. It has helped quite a few on here. Maybe it will turn up somewhere....

jeremi3210

Anyone know where to get crocus cloth? Checked at napa and they said its obselete? And that emery cloth should work? How about fine sand paper?

wheeledhorseman

I had a great post on here about rebuilding a hydro pmp from a D series machine. The hydro mototr is basically the same process. I unfortunately cannot find it so that I can link it to you. It has helped quite a few on here. Maybe it will turn up somewhere....

It's here

(We really do need a D forum so that this sort of great stuff is easy to find)

Re 'crocus', its way finer than even the fine grade emery / sand papers - try googling 'crocus grade paper' (or cloth)for available substitutes.

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman
  • Like 1

JamesBe1

It's here

(We really do need a D forum so that this sort of great stuff is easy to find)

Re 'crocus', its way finer than even the fine grade emery / sand papers - try googling 'crocus grade paper' (or cloth)for available substitutes.

Andy

That was an excellent thread by Jeff.  I started working on turning it into a pdf and got sidetracked.  I'll try to finish it up in the next few weeks and send it to Jeff to post in the files section (it wouldn't be right for me to take any credit for his contribution).

pfrederi

Anyone know where to get crocus cloth? Checked at napa and they said its obselete? And that emery cloth should work? How about fine sand paper?

Obsolete??? I would find a new auto parts store...

Try here

http://www.mcmaster.com/#crocus-cloth/=n9vsap

I would avoid sand paper.  the grit may get lodged in the soft brass valve plate or the brass slippers.

jambur

This crocus cloth is not easy to locate. Only one locale suppier but the grit is 320. Is that fine enough because it is cloth or do I need something different?

wheeledhorseman

I think 320 grit would be a 'coarse' crocus cloth, as far as I can tell from the net medium is about 800 grit and is sold for polishing metals, fine is 1200 grit and you can even get extra fine at 2000 grit. I guess it all depends on how much of a mirror finish you are trying to achieve.

You need to ask Jeff what grade he used as it appeared to do the job.

Andy

jambur

turns out we were chasing our tails by replacing bad parts with bad parts (lesson learned: pull pumps and motor apart first).

after refurbishing the hydor pump and motor the tractor is runing great. thank you for all of your help.

i love my d-200 and can't wait to use it.