Sign in to follow this  

Tecumseh HH60 questions

i took apart a running HH60 engine with obvious governor issues and i have a few things i need help with. first...the plastic gear is shattered , can you still get it? part number? is it the same as a H60?

second....the camshaft has some sort of moveable weight on it , is that some sort of compression release? how does it work?  i can't see what it does.  can i just take it off?

third...i don't believe it has the correct connecting rod. i'm thinking maybe someone turned the crankshaft under size and this was the only one that would fit.   does anyone know what the standard size of the rod journal is? i'd like to measure mine , but i don't know what standard is. i can get a standard connecting rod from Primeline or Pat's small engines

also....the piston is marked .020 and the block is bored ,  but i can't find any and .020 piston rings. any ideas where i could get some?

thanks for any help , and sorry for the crappy picture

HH60001_zps78ef6fbc.jpg

Terry M

Have you tried partstree.com ?   I've searched for HH60 parts in the past and I do remember that The .020 oversize ring kits are hard to come-by.     You might want to consider looking for a different Engine. sounds like yours is really tired.   But, if you really want to rebuild it, then more power to you...   I do have an HH60 I bought at an auction this spring and it was for parts only.  I'll check it out this weekend and see if I have any of the above parts. if I do i'll get back to you.

Terry

prondzy

No pun intended right? More power to you.... rebuilding a tired engine :)

thanks for the replies

after some more measuring and googling i've come to realize that it's a HH70.   the bore is 2.750 plus .020 over

SousaKerry

That rod looks like one from a vertical shaft engine, however I could be full of it....   Parts are available but maybe not in Tecumseh, you will probobly have to resort to parts made by the C. H. Ina company,  their quality ain't the best but they work.

Terry M

thanks for the replies

after some more measuring and googling i've come to realize that it's a HH70.   the bore is 2.750 plus .020 over

Sorry, I have no parts for that.  Good luck with the rebuild :) .

No pun intended right? More power to you.... rebuilding a tired engine :)

Yes, my wording had no pun intended. :)

MarkPalmer

The engine can be rebuilt, but probably not cost effectively.  You will likely be able to find a good running used HH70 for much less than what it will cost to source the parts and get the machine work done that you will need.  My friend is in the same boat with an HH60 he found with a broken rod.  I was able to find a good running HH60 for under $100.00, where it would cost much more than that to rebuild his trashed scrapyard find.   

Your rod is definitely one off some type of vertical shaft engine.  I can't find where anyone, not even Tecumseh, supplied a .010 undersize rod for the HH70, and the rod is specific to that engine.  So you are right in that someone likely machined a different rod to work. (or maybe not work in your case LOL.) To get your crankpin welded up to use the correct standard size rod would cost a fortune, and the reliabilty of welded cranks IMHO is questionable. A set of .020 over rings aren't avaliable in ready supply either, unless you get a piston/pin/ring set for $100.00.  So you have a few options- part out the engine and find a new one, spend a small fortune to get it rebuilt, or wait-wait-wait patiently and hunt down the NOS parts needed to rebuild it.   

-Mark-

groundhog47

i took apart a running HH60 engine with obvious governor issues and i have a few things i need help with. first...the plastic gear is shattered , can you still get it? part number? is it the same as a H60?

second....the camshaft has some sort of moveable weight on it , is that some sort of compression release? how does it work?  i can't see what it does.  can i just take it off?

third...i don't believe it has the correct connecting rod. i'm thinking maybe someone turned the crankshaft under size and this was the only one that would fit.   does anyone know what the standard size of the rod journal is? i'd like to measure mine , but i don't know what standard is. i can get a standard connecting rod from Primeline or Pat's small engines

also....the piston is marked .020 and the block is bored ,  but i can't find any and .020 piston rings. any ideas where i could get some?

thanks for any help , and sorry for the crappy picture

HH60001_zps78ef6fbc.jpg

That attachment on cam is compression release; I wouldn't recommend removing. Kick back will some times shear starter ring attach on flywheel. It keeps one valve slightly elevated while start rpm builds and drops out of lift line with centrifugal force when rpm sufficient.

My book reads 1.0615/1.0620 crankpin journal, conn rod 1.0630/1.0635. Hope ya find all ya need, good day

Coadster32

If you take off the compression release, you might get some crazy snap back from the starter rope.

(I'm still feeling it a few years later. :bitch: )