Sign in to follow this  
Jeff-C175

Sears SS 16

Jeff-C175

I don't need another project...

But the older fella up the road whose grass I cut said I could have his old SS 16.

The transaxle is out and behind the machine, he told me he was going to 'fix' something and took it apart and quit whatever it was he was going to do. 

It was a running machine when he took it apart, but it's been in the weather for a few years now so there might not be a lot of hope for it other than parting it out.

I know the other neighbor who bought the machine new and took immaculate care of it... until he passed away and the other guy got it and let it go to shyte.

The fiberglas is NOT CRACKED!  So maybe there is some part value.

Anyway, long story short...

Should I drag it home?

Sparky

For free....yep, drag it home.

Its gotta have some part out value if you decide to not get into it and fix it. Those older Onans were much better than the ones from the 90's.

Mike...........

KC9KAS

You would be foolish to leave it there....Take it home and play with it!

Worst case...use it to trade parts with someone else.

Jeff-C175

Yeah, I'm going up this afternoon to see what I need to do to get it rolling... hopefully tires will hold air long enough to roll it down the road... have to bolt that transaxle back in first... 

Jeff-C175

Oh man... that machine is in rough shape! 

I had to bring the chain saw to make room to work on it, Sandy dropped a few trees around it, but none actually hit it.

The bees nest was not active, but there were a bunch of spiders that looked to me like Widows.  Sprayed the hell out of it with Raid.

Motor is free, so that's a plus.  I'm sure it had gas in it when last used.  I couldn't unscrew the gas cap, rusted to the tank.

As mentioned, the transaxle was out, but the guy swore all the bolts were there.  They weren't.  Found a couple bolts and managed to get the TA in with enough bolts to roll.  It ain't easy putting a TA in by yourself in the dirt.

The tire chains appear to be useless (heavily rusted) but I've gotta inspect closer.

The wheel weights were cracked, but might be salvageable.  WTH do they fill those with?  Looked like concrete mixed with ground up GLASS BITS?

That fiberglas front grill that I thought was not cracked... IS ... but not too badly and it was repaired with a piece of aluminum bolted on.

Anyway...  it's still there, I ran outta steam.

chevyaddict83

Oh man... that machine is in rough shape!

I had to bring the chain saw to make room to work on it, Sandy dropped a few trees around it, but none actually hit it.

The bees nest was not active, but there were a bunch of spiders that looked to me like Widows. Sprayed the hell out of it with Raid.

Motor is free, so that's a plus. I'm sure it had gas in it when last used. I couldn't unscrew the gas cap, rusted to the tank.

As mentioned, the transaxle was out, but the guy swore all the bolts were there. They weren't. Found a couple bolts and managed to get the TA in with enough bolts to roll. It ain't easy putting a TA in by yourself in the dirt.

The tire chains appear to be useless (heavily rusted) but I've gotta inspect closer.

The wheel weights were cracked, but might be salvageable. WTH do they fill those with? Looked like concrete mixed with ground up GLASS BITS?

That fiberglas front grill that I thought was not cracked... IS ... but not too badly and it was repaired with a piece of aluminum bolted on.

Anyway... it's still there, I ran outta steam.

Not even enough steam to post pictures?

Sent from my 416-8

Jeff-C175

Not even enough steam to post pictures?

I done forgot to bring the camera up!

I will get some next time, sorry bout dat!