Sign in to follow this  
thehorse

Shifter troubles

thehorse

Hi all. Just got donee finishing up a 416-8. Turned out well. I put new belts on as well as the set screw to hold and align the shifter. My problem is the 25% of the time, when I try and shift, it feels like the clutch pedal is not fully putting slack in the belt. I will grind if I try and shift. However, if I put the shifter in the neutral position and depress clutch again.....it's as smooth as butter. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Len

Don1977

You may  be doing like me. If i shift too soon it will scrape every time. If I can slow down and give it a little time it will go right in gear. i scraped mine twice today while mowing. I was just in too big a hurry.

stevasaurus

Try wiping your pulleys with mineral spirits. :)

wallfish

All of the above and...

Brand new belts sometime take a little time to wear in. It's not your transmission, the belt is still grabing on the engine pulley and it's spinning the trans drive pulley which causes the grinding. Investigate why the belt is still being turned by the engine when the clutch pedal is pushed. The belt guard must be installed to support the belt around the pulley when it is loosened buy the clutch.

You can try driving the tractor up to a wall or other stationary object and let the clutch out while in gear to stretch and wear in the belt a little. New belts sometimes have some stiff spots and this could be the cause of the 25% of the time grinds. PLEASE BE CAREFUL if you do this.

• Like 1