Sign in to follow this  
Lagersolut

C-101 8 speed trans

Lagersolut

Getting those #1533 bearings out has been a major pain for me.  I think they make a tool for them, but I have not seen it.  I had great luck with the last ones I had to remove though.  I have an air chisel with a narrow flat blade.  I put the blade in there as best I could and gave the trigger a small burst of air.  It popped right out.  Tried it on the other side and the same thing...popped right out.  I went and bought a Lottery ticket after that. :)

I had just the outer race in there once...bought a hardened bit for my Dremel tool and worked at it for about 40 minutes before I got it cut enough to brake out. :bow-blue:

Your transmission looks real good inside, those needle bearings look good from here also.  Send a PM to racinfool40 to replace that broken fork. :)

Shoot , I already ordered the fork , yes the other needle bearings look and feel OK , just that one with the top of the race broke/wore off ( that's on the way ) I know I'm in this for a new case - called Dave's tractor world he thinks he has one said he wants 40 for it ( if he has one )  he's calling me back Monday ( I might pm racinfool40 to see what he has on one -no idea on $  shipping here to PA ) . needle bearings for the axles are in tact but they feel gritty ....replacing both

Just watched your video this morning on the rebuild ......excellent info on the gear arrangement , detent etc ( forgot to take pics as I was doing this after I got it all apart  oh oooo )

1) I had washers under the shaft ( right side )  over the needle on both the input and big 44 tooth gear but not the brake shaft - was there originally supposed to be one here too ?

2) I seen on a restoration show vinegar used to dissolve rust- what's your opinion using it ( after all the oil and gunk is cleaned out ) to finish up the case vs wire brushes etc ?

Thanks again for updating that vid A +++

Bryan

PS

Are you going to the swap meet in Adams Co pa this month ?    I'm gonna try to be there Friday first thing 8-9 o clock .

Jeff-C175

There are a few different types of bearing pullers that might come in handy...

This one for the needle roller bearings (although, I believe on this tranny they are open so you can tap them out with a drift)... but if they are 'blind' this one comes in handy:

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html

This one might be the ticket for the 1533 bearings... use the internal jaws...

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-piece-slide-hammer-and-puller-set-5469.html

This one is a '3 jaw' and might do a better job:

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-piece-heavy-duty-slide-hammer-kit-5223.html

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you are talking about the Big Show...yes...will be there Thursday, Friday and Saturday. :) We are usually right across from the food stand.

A little pricy on the bearing puller, but the first one looks like the one to get. Those washers (spacers) are in there to take up any slack for the shafts...some times (depending on the casting) they are not needed.  If you are using the same parts, put them back in where you found them.  I have not tried vinegar.  I have found a little diesel fuel and a stiff brush does a great job. I think $40 for both sides is a fair price and is usually what they go for.

Jeff-C175

Yeah, a little pricey for a 'one time use'...

but I know women that buy a dress for an 'occasion' and then return it a few days later... 'didn't fit' they might say  :liar: ... now, I'm not advocating anything here... just sayin'... if you get my 'drift'...  :eusa-shhh: ... let your own conscience be your guide.

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Figured something out of the roll away for my 1533 extraction, whenever I get to Lowes or Sears,  I'm always picking up those little nik nacks for a couple of bucks, in this case ( man do these lttle guys come in handy )  Lowes had a whole bin of these little 4 inch vise grips for like 2 or 3 bucks a piece , bought 4 .....bottom jaw got under bearing  perfect came under with a 13/16 deep well impact socket w/10 inch extension  striking the clamped jaws of the grips and presto .....came to me after I went to bed last night .

dbh1jm.jpg

242hjsw.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut

That casting actually looks broke in the second to the last picture (bottom right)...like some one was jumping something with the horse and the axle fractured the housing.  Take a look.

Today I did, cleaned it up etc .......it's cracked ......I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out in the pic.. not even messing with it ....getting replaced .

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Just throwing this out there..I have some spare cases if ya need them!..

Your old case.... my new one ....dressed up.... ready to go....new bearings all the ay around .....1533 from old case was OK

34pjgk7.jpg

2myygau.jpg

• Like 2

MalMac

Getting in on this late, but from my metallurgical days working in a machine/heat treat shop. That most certainly is a flawed casting. I doubt when it was new that it did not leak. Surprised the original owner did not take it back. Glad you are on the road to getting it fixed. As you know you have got some members on here with some real know how and experience to guide you along.

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Yesterday I opened and cleaned the differential everything was fine, are there torque specs on the 4 bolts holding everything together  ?

stevasaurus

I don't think there is a torque, I just try to tighten them up the same well before stripping the bolt.  Does not require a lot, just a little past snug.  The castings look great. :)

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Getting in on this late, but from my metallurgical days working in a machine/heat treat shop. That most certainly is a flawed casting. I doubt when it was new that it did not leak. Surprised the original owner did not take it back. Glad you are on the road to getting it fixed. As you know you have got some members on here with some real know how and experience to guide you along

I procrastinated fixing this unit because I actually found that due to an oil leak quite a while ago ( knew it deep down , I was in it for a new case ..not just a $4 seal  no idea where to get one ) , as mentioned by another poster,  the wet axle did cause the hubs to slip in against the casting and I too thought maybe that was the cause, ( I know it didn't help  ) after I got some brake cleaner and cleaned it up , it is in fact I believe cracked at this point  , but these imperfections you can see in my post ,  are also on the inside behind the seal and into the bearing seat .........I found no stones or dirt behind the seal ........so yes I agree  it was a bad cast

Bryan

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

are there torque specs

In the absence of available specs from WH, I would use the 'standard' torque values based on the size and type of bolt.

Something like this one:

http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/Torque-Values-for-Common-Bolt-Sizes.pdf

These specs are for DRY bolts... if there's any oil on them you might want to decrease the spec by a few lb/ft.  I would probably put a few drops of the blue loctite on them as well.

Lagersolut

All done ....need to put the seals in yet.......many thanks Stevasaurus and Racinfool40

I tried to get that nice shiney  new detent plug to show .....LOL 

Started on the frame today , found a busted motor mount bolt had to get the easy outs ......out

qnwg8j.jpg

a11xle.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Glad to be able to help...looks fantastic. :):woohoo: