Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Need safety interlock switch explanation.... 2007 Classic GT

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

well back in '07 when the last of the true Wheel Horses where rolling out I convinced a co-worker to buy one. He went to a local dealer and picked up the last Classic GT with the Kohler Command 15 and a 42" deck with full powered vac bagger. It was something like $5200 plus tax with free delivery (probably 50 miles from the dealer to his house).

Anyways---fast forward to 2013... he calls and says it wont start or starts and dies in 10 seconds. I figure its a carb problem and go pick it up.  Would you believe that the tractor has 59.6 hours on it and is completly packed with grass clippings in every nook and cranny plus the motor is packed with mice remains and nests and grass and is leaking like a sieve. The motor oil is black and it looks like the engine has been "cooked" several times---the wiring harness is melted underneath the engine near the oil drain!

I ask him when was the last service done and he said "never--the book says 50 hours and I was going to get to it soon" :no: so... no grease, no oil, no nothing for 6 years.  Air filter is plugged solid too.

Heres my question----I found that the tractor would make the relay click but not fire the solenoid UNLESS the parking brake was engaged (not just the brake pedal pushed) so in order to get this thing to crank and start the parking brake has to be on, someone has to be sitting on it, the clutch has to be depressed and the PTO switch in the off position... Is that the normal setup? The reason I ask is that I swear it cranked a few times by simply pushing the brake pedal---not consitently but sometimes. Unless the mechanism is sticking, also if the parking brake is engaged and you push in the clutch and go to shift the engine stalls----there is a magnet type interlock on the shifter, is this normal too?  I dont know if this thing is "screwed up" or its fine and this is the first one I have ever seen with all these dumb interlock switches on it.

Im going to go through it and show it some love but man what a poor abused tractor and yes it is already starting to blow smoke. :banghead:

Anyone have one of the "new fangled" Wheel Horses that can offer some insight?

Thanks

Tony

ericj

i have a 99 314-8 and mine you don't have to have the brake locked to start so i would say you have at least a sticky switch but there is a safety that shuts off the tractor if the brake is locked and you try to put it in gear. but like i said mine is a 99 so it could be a little different then your's. i'm sure someone with one of the newer tractor will chime in here before long

eric j

thehorse

There is a safety switch I believe with that year located under the seat that shuts the tractor down when you are not on it. A key also that turns on and off reverse mowing. You might check those. My tractor has a piece of wire jumping the connection to negate the safety switch. Mine is a 2001. I would start with leaf blower and clean it up for starters and go from there. Change oil, filters and some new gas after draining what's in there.

dsholler

Sounds like it might be the other way around... either there is a safety switch on the brake that is out of adjustment, or the cooked wiring (or an owner repair) wired the indicator for the parking brake into the PTO/Seat switch circuit.

Lagersolut

I have a '05 , ( like horse I put jumpers in mine and removed the cage in the shifter slots ) but yes that is a normal set up .....look in front of and under the parking brake set lever you can see the switch ....I also made changes to my blower shrouds on that CH-15 ( they wrap around the entire jug and trap dirt )  -I cut everything off facing the exaust side for better air flow , next the air cleaner , these motors came designed with an air induction that's pushing all that grass and dirt into the air cleaner .....pull the rubber induction tube out and close both holes with your choice of materials  ( I used sheet metal , silicone and some short self tapping screws ) otherwise it will continue to pack the air filter with dirt ......even with my modifications the engine still needs blown out ( I 'm very fussy about dirt and air flow ) every few mowings .   ...my k series Kohlers never needed this attention ...this Kohler does

6 years no oil ,no  grease. no air filter .....ouch......

• Like 1

refracman

Another thing to check is the low oil safety, if the the wiring is damaged under the motor it could be that.

and that a shame 5200 bucks, but hey the manual says......

chazm

I think the best thing to do & I'm sure others will agree, is that you tell your co-worker that's hes NOT a responsible WH owner & you will have to repossess his tractor.  :angry-nono:

Explain to him that lowes has a good mower for him for the 3rd of the price        :chores-mowlawn:

Chasm  :flags-waveusa:

Forest Road

Sorry to hear your friend is pretty much clueless when it comes to maintenance.

I had one with a sticky brake switch. I recall pressing the brake multiple times while cranking. The magnet on the shifter was also in my 2001 312-8. It detects neutral position. I bought that one with 200 hours and a 48" deck for $200. The PO couldn't keep it running either. I know that neutral switch was broken and another switch had gone bad.

Seriously Not even so much as an oil change? Call the ASPCA report a lil horse abuse.

thehorse

Well I'm an animal lover, they taste great, so I feel a quick adoption is in order!

leeave96

My '97 314-8 required the clutch to be pressed, the brake to be pressed (locked is more convenient), the PTO off and weight (i.e. your buttox) in the seat before it will crank.  I think that's what you're asking?

OTOH, no weight/buttox in the seat is required if I am starting with the manual rope start... ;)