Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Wheel Horse 856 trans not selecting all gears

Stigian

Just a quick question..

The trans on my 856 will only select 2nd and 3rd gear, it won't go into 1st or reverse!!!   

Any ideas?

meadowfield

The selector is jammed! Whatever anyone says you need to split it to take a look and check it over. I have two 3 speed granny's spare - 3rd gear is knackered on both!

Bearings and seals still easy to get if you do find anything wrong.

stevasaurus

Ian...is this the trans that you put diesel in and did a video of running it around on a trailer in your old bumpy back yard a couple of years ago??? :ychain:

Yes...I remember that. :)

Before you take it apart...lift the rubber boot, pull the shifter and see if the forks are where they are supposed to be.  While you are looking in there, see if you see any rust.  If you do, drain the oil & water...fill with diesel and let set a couple of days.  Once in a while, try to shift the forks with a long screw driver.  If it loosens up...cool.  Now do what Meadowfield said and open it up and do it right.  You will get another 40 years out of that trans. :woohoo:

Stigian

Thanks Guy's, somehow I just knew you would say "open it up" :D

The hard/nightmare bit would be getting the hitch pin out the back,,,, I can jump up and down on the hitch and it won't budge, so I guess the pin is going to need cutting and drilling out!!

Maybe I need to have a measure and see if the trans will fit in my E-tank :D

Steve, well remembered on the video front, that was quite a few years ago, back in the days when I had energy and Garry had hair  :laughing-rofl: 

• Like 1

meadowfield

If you are splitting the tranny anyway, try warming the button up - heat always works!

Stigian

Fixed it  :D

By er..... Taking the shifter stick out and  putting it back in.. No change..

Taking it out again but this time struggling to get the stick back as my hands were not playing ball at the time...

But this time I could select all 4 gears!!!!

Dunno what I did, but it worked :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Cool Ian...I'm thinking the 1st/rev fork gear was not quite in it's neutral position. :)