Sign in to follow this  
Rideking

What's causing my deck sides to wear out?

Rideking

My 42" rear discharge deck seems to be wearing out on the sides near the bottom edge but before I go cutting and welding in patches I'd like to know what causes our decks to wear out? I don't drag my deck along concrete edges, run it with our gauge wheels, mow in sandy soil, or anything of the like...yet looking at the deck would say otherwise! What gauge sheet metal should I use to make the repairs?

IthacaJeff

Do you have pics of the wear? Do you run the deck with the front guide wheels

rolling on the ground (a no-no), or is the front raised up and suspended with the

lift lever (yes-yes)?

Jeff

SousaKerry

30+ years of grass dragging along the bottom and occasionally scraping the ground would wear you out too....

Working in engineering as I do I am often amazed at how something as seemingly harmless as spherilized plastic pellets can wear right through the side of a pipe or hose.  Decks generally are made from soft steel that will bend and deflect easily so that they can be formed in a press.  This lowers manufacturing costs, yes beeter materials would last longer but would eventually wear through as well. 

Also most plant juices are slightly acidic so leaving clumps of grass and plant juice caked on the side of the deck shortens the life also.

• Like 1

leeave96

Do you use fertilizer on your lawn?

I think the Wheelhorse decks are heavier than my IH Cub cadet deck and my Simplicity deck, but it looks to me like the Wheelhorse decks rust out quicker.

My plan (since Momma has banned me from buying more tractors) is to load up on spare parts, including decks!

Good luck,

Bill

dsholler

Is it just the sides and not the middle? Sounds like either it is bowed down at the edges...maybe someone has been getting on and off by standing on the deck? My son does that all the time, despite my growling at him.

I also think most of the stiffness in the deck is from the rear rod, which might have bent somehow.