Sign in to follow this  
Wheelhorse84

What is going on here

Wheelhorse84

So about a week back I was mowing with my 416 onan. When it got hot after about 10 or 15 minutes it stalled out almost like a completely lost Spark or gas. It would start back up after it got cool sometimes would have to sit overnight and then as soon as it got hot again it would stall out and would not restart. So I went to my local dealer he told Me to test the leads on the coil make sure one of them has power and make sure the other one flashes when you're cranking it over. So I did that and the constant one had power but the one that was supposed to flash didn't. So when you let it cool down both worked as they should. He told me it's a coil. I replace the coil she fired right up she ran great she actually ran longer than she normally did. Then when I went to my backyard I had it running so I engage the PTO it started to sputter and stall then disengaged my PTO and it would spotter run like crap and really wouldn't do much. When it stalled it would restart but as soon as you get a throttle it would bogged down install out. Now it won't start all the constant lead on the coil has power but the other lead Is not pulsing as you crank it over and of course it won't start. It's been cooling for a few hours now and it still won't start. What the heck could this be this is confusing me. Please help.

546cowboy

It could be the ignition module. With the engine hot is when they usually start that and after it cools down it will run again. When it does that you have no spark. I have had it happen several times to a couple 520's I've had. Take my advice and spend the money for a new one and don't go the cheapo route with a used one. Unless you like changing it again when the used one quits.