Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

alturnative parts source for 8 speed parts

rustyoldjunk

since i opened up the spare 8 speed tranny and all seems good with it except for some bears and seals i decided to order them and put it back together and use it in the 1257 but....i went to the toro site and found that a couple are nla and some are pretty costly B) .im wondering is there any alturnative parts sources for these transaxles? :whistle: looks like you could spend upwards of $300 and still not be able to get all the freshen up parts from toro.

Duff

I've had good luck with this place!

When you get there, click on "parts database"

Duff B)

Jack's Small Engines

sorekiwi

I've never been inside an 8 speed, but all the Torrington needle rollers and seals from the 4 speeds are available through any bearing house. (Seals are available at NAPA).

I usually get my bearings from Motion Industries.

TT

In case you haven't looked at the engine pulley on your 1257 yet, it's a small one. If you put an 8 speed in it, you'll need a special 4" diameter input pulley. Near as I can tell, they were only used on 867/1067/1267 models and are tough to find.

You can change the engine pulley to the newer 4" part, but you might need to modify the belt guard and you'll definitely have to install a wider idler pulley and matching P/N 7473 drive belt.

rustyoldjunk

thanks Deereman,sorekiwi and TT.TT i dont mind changing pulleys,i think i may have a 4 inch on the spare 301 but its off a deere so i will have to look at it.that engine has a 1 inch crank,im not sure about the one one the 1257 i havent pulled the pto off to look yet.if it wont work i guess i will uh go uh ebayin.(im bidding on a pan now for the jd 301 so i can mount it on a horse.)