Sign in to follow this  
sorekiwi

Early 60's switch info needed

sorekiwi

Can anyone post some close up pictures of the switches on the early 60's electric start tractors?

Specifically I want to see what the push button knob looked like, paint, polished, rubber boot? (all of mine are too rusted to tell...). and also I want a close up picture of the 2 pronged ignition key - I guess I'm going to have to make one of those. I assume that all were keyed alike - or are there variations in keys?

Thanks

Mike

Z-man

Not sure if this any less or more rust than what you have, but it's the only pics I have. B)

WheelHorseCommando002Resized.jpg

WheelHorseCommando001Resized.jpg

sorekiwi

Not sure if this any less or more rust than what you have, but it's the only pics I have. B)

Thanks Zman, but too new! I'm looking for the Roundhoods with keyed ignition switch and pushbutton starter switch. (and yes mine are about that rusty!)

Rollerman

Mike not sure if this is what you are looking for? B)

Pic of the dash would be the ignition setup on a 63 953.

Pic on the workbench shows the key & a switch I have...bad thing is I have 3 of those switches & 1 key.

If you make some...make some extra's. :whistle:

0812081929.jpg

0812081930.jpg

0812081930a.jpg

sorekiwi

Perfect Stephen, thanks.

The button on my starter switch started to come up kinda "coppery" when I buffed it. It looks like yours is plated some kind of silver or maybe galvanized.

As for the key switch, I kinda hoped it would turn when I poked the prongs of some circlip pliers into it (it didnt). Now I've seen what the key looks like, I'll try to find something similar, or try to make one. I'll let you know what I find.

B)

Rollerman

If you need any dimensions to the key...let me know & I'll get that much for you.

Things slow down a bit this fall I may look into haveing a few made myself.

sorekiwi

That'd be great Stephen. Some dimension would help if I have to start filing on a piece of steel!

First stop I guess would be a locksmith to see if he has anything at all close, or else a blank big enough for me to start cutting on.

I'm out of town till next week, so it wont be 'till then.

Duff

This may be way out in left field, but I'd check around a janitorial supply place for a key blank. I think certain paper towel or TP dispensers use/used a metal key very similar in size and shape to what I see in the pictures. The new ones have gone to plastic keys (what a surprise!) but who knows what someone may have on a shelf somewhere, and could save you some filing time? :whistle:

Just a thought..... B)

Tickster - any chance of another pic with something next to the key for scale? We've got a pretty good sized lock shop where I work and I'd be happy to check with the boys to see if they've got any ideas.

Duff B)

Buzz

When I was up at the Rough and Tumble show in Kinzer PA last year there was a guy selling that style key as well as the other Wheel Horse keys. He had a bunch. I'll be going to this show on Friday and will look and see if he is there. He also sold fuel filters, gas caps and other stuff for small engines/ garden tractors. I'll let you know if I find any.

sorekiwi

Thanks Buzz.

chevelletown

Ken Stevens makes the 2 prong keys, He is one of the people that put on the Mentone show. I think the Mentone show thread has a flyer with his phone number on it. He had some there this spring and I took pics....I just have to find them B)

Rollerman

Thanks for the info Ken!

I'm planning on attending the Mentone show & will have to look for them.

P.S. Ken...I'll have to touch base with you soon & see how your project is comeing. B)

chevelletown

Here are some pics of the keys that Ken Stevens makes.

WHMisc007.jpg

Brrly1

Huh,imagine that a locksmith here in Toledo, right up the road from me has those keys in stock or at least he did a couple years ago. I will check it out tomorrow afternoon when I get off of work. Burly