Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Smith

First Show 2013, Bad Luck

Charlie Smith

Hello all,

Firstly I would like to give a huge apology to Ian, for not being able to pop in and see him, :(... So overall the weather was nice, it seemed a pretty well organised show, ill upload pictures later, :)

Now where to start, I have a strong feeling someone didn't want me to go away this weekend as all the bad luck followed me and my dad all the way down, basically, this is the story,.... Enjoy ;)

Right on the way down we was rather happy the old camper van was managing really really well no problems at all that's a first ;) , we was not very far away when the first bit of bad luck hit us. Just as we was about to pull onto the A2 we had a blow out on the trailer the tyre just had it, pretty much shredded luckily we managed to pull off and fit the spare,

After that we pulled off again and started to make progress along the A2 half an hour later, the other bloody wheel had it and popped so we had no spare this time so called out the AA they changed it some 2 and a half hours later.... That's the first lot... There's more ....when we finally got there, happy as we was, our generator broke down, so had no ways of communication I was meant to ring Ian and let him know what day I was popping in and get him to guide me in, but with the smart phone I got the battery dies every few hours so had no way of charging it.... So sadly missed out on a great opportunity to meet Ian, then to top off my bad luck... Whilst my tractor was parked up so people could look at it, I went to get a bite to eat and a shower, and some bugga had stolen my starter motor off the old raider 10, that really put the hat on it, after that I was rather niffed off and couldn't wait to be home.... Luckily I have got another starter motor but its not the point, I shall still continue to show, because at the end of the day it's the risk you take, but.. I mean.. There's clearly some desperate people out there, risk getting caught in the middle of a packed show, in daylight for a starter motor.. Oh dear, mind, at least they left me there nice socket set in exchange lol.

Anyway rant over, :) aha

neil

I cant believe someone could be so low as to steal your starter motor  ( Probly Pikies ).  i wonder what they would have said if you came back an  caught them  .

Dont let this put you off showing charlie , Maybe there a lesson to be learnt by everyone here . by that i mean put a lock on your hood or a padlock .

apart from that i hope you had a good show and enjoyed yourself .

Amanda

Oh my!

Charlie Smith

Oh Neil it's defiantly not put me off showing, I can't wait untill Ardingly... And yeah if I caught them, they properly would have run! Never mind... And yea everyone! I know it may not look all that good, but with parts in the UK being hard and expencive to get, I would suggest all locking down your hoods some how it's a shame that you've got to do things like this, but roll on Ardingly..

squonk

That reminds me of a story a friend had, He had a boat and needed a tire. He only had to go a short distance so he threw a wheel barrow tire on it. He then sold the boat and forgot to tell the buyer about the tire. Guy towed it 200 miles before it blew

Edited by squonk

SousaKerry

( Probly Pikies )

Pikies???  Excuse a dumb American but what is a Pikie??

I had a snowblower stolen at the big show in about 2008 or so, my fault I hung a sign on it with my number and we headed off to Gettysburg for the day came back and it was gone.

groundhog47

A guy once told me "leave your shovel in the back, no one will steal it; they'd have to work." Huh, I've shoveled snow in Colorado, never used a machine, but that's work as well as removing a part from a Wheel Horse. I figure a "Pikie" must be lower than whale stuff, if not  worse!

Charlie hate  :sad:  you had that kinda few days, maybe the guy will offer start/gen up for sale, whack em good for all us when he comes by! :baseball:  

neil

A pikie,....... is a Gypsy Traveller that mostly come from Ireland and they travel around in Caravans (Trailers), they are known to go to vintage shows he in UK  ,.

Have you seen the film ****** where  Brad pit  plays a  pikie ,

meadowfield

Woah! That's really bad, I mean I'm always paranoid about my trailer being liberated, but someone unbolting a starter is just mad!

Glad you managed to make it despite the setbacks, and as Neil says, don't let it put you off.

Mark

Ps your grandad sent me a pic of his horse, get some pics shared :D

• Like 1

stevasaurus

WOW, this sounds like "if it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all."  I hope it does not turn you off of going to shows.  Shows can be the best way to meet the people and they in turn will watch out for you.  Here is to you not ever having another bad experience. :orcs-cheers:

Don1977

The socket set was probably stolen also  hope you don't get arrested for receiving stolen property. :ychain:  Lets hope the next show turn out much better.

Charlie Smith

Mark his horse looks great, and it defiantly hasn't put me off showing, :D

And thank you stevasaurus, :)

And Don1977 it properly was stolen, ah dear,... :P

Stigian

!!!!!!   Wow Charlie, you certainly had a rough weekend of it!!  At least when the trailer tires blew they didn't make the trailer flip over..   Yes there are certain places in north Kent where the thieving (add abusive word to taste) do tend to do what they like which is part of the reason why I refuse to move that kinda way..

I guess you could always sell the socket set they left to get some ££'s back for a new starter..  Can I suggest giving the socket set a respray and maybe changing the chassis number... Just in case it is stolen!!  :D

No worry's about you not making it over this weekend, I'm sure other chances will present themselves, and Ardingly isn't too far away..

farmer

It doesn't sound like the pikes to me, they would have taken the whole tractor or maybe the battery.

Someone wanted just the starter, amazing the neck on some, lets just hope they skinned their knuckles.

Wheel-N-It

Charlie, its a sad day in this world when people steal stuff at a "tractor show" !!!

I'll be thinking about this all day. You sure seem to be taking it well. I've had stuff stolen too, so I know how you feel. If I had an extra starter laying around here I would send it to you. How much will it cost where you live to purchase another one?

Charlie Smith

Ian I cant wait untill Ardingly :D....

And farmer you're right, It's properly not these "pikies" like you say if they wanted the stuff to make the money, they would have taken the battery etc,

And wheel-N-it its really sad indeed because if it wasn't for people like us, willing to show our tractors..there wouldn't be any shows for people to go to and enjoy, and about the cost,.. They don't really pop up over here in the UK the only time you will get chance to buy one is if someone's breaking down a horse, very unlikely,.. So I don't know the exact cost over here a good £100.00+ I'm guessing