Sign in to follow this  
elmo_4_vt

Buying a 520 - Quick question for the experts

Austin860

In my honest opinio, my c100 had pulled a car out of a ditch, a trailer full or mulch, a trailer full of rock, and a trailer full of kids during Halloween. I recently pushed 2 1/2 feet of snow with it with no weights. For what your doing, I think buying a 500 series is a waste of your money.

Austin

By the way, my c100 is only 10 horse

elmo_4_vt

Thanks for the recent replies everyone... Just to update.  I still plan on getting a wheel-horse, but the need was larger than the available good deals.  I wasn't willing to spend a lot on tractor that wasn't in that good of shape or had a real high amount of hours...  So for now I found an '04 Sears GT5000 with a 3 speed hi/lo for $500 locally that only had 250 hrs, and came with a box plow and a trailer.  After selling the extra stuff, and selling my current tractor, I should only be into it for about $100 or maybe even.  At that point I can take my time and look for a nice one, or one I can re-hab.  I've decided to get one with the Kohler.  Loved that series of engine in my Gravely, so I don't think I'll be disappointed in a 300 or 400 series.

Thanks again for all your help.  It is very much appreciated.  I wish I could have made it to the wheel horse fair in PA a couple weeks ago.

Don

-

leeave96

Thanks for the recent replies everyone... Just to update.  I still plan on getting a wheel-horse, but the need was larger than the available good deals.  I wasn't willing to spend a lot on tractor that wasn't in that good of shape or had a real high amount of hours...  So for now I found an '04 Sears GT5000 with a 3 speed hi/lo for $500 locally that only had 250 hrs, and came with a box plow and a trailer.  After selling the extra stuff, and selling my current tractor, I should only be into it for about $100 or maybe even.  At that point I can take my time and look for a nice one, or one I can re-hab.  I've decided to get one with the Kohler.  Loved that series of engine in my Gravely, so I don't think I'll be disappointed in a 300 or 400 series.

Thanks again for all your help.  It is very much appreciated.  I wish I could have made it to the wheel horse fair in PA a couple weeks ago.

Don

-

Be careful on that Sears gear drive.  I grew up on an old Sears SS14 gear drive and the shift pattern was/is OPPOSITE of my Wheelhorse 314-8.  After not driving that tractor for about 20 years, the shift pattern was still imprinted on my pea brain and a couple of times I almost drove my Wheelhorse into the side of my house thinking fwd was reverse!

Good luck,

Bill

Forest Road

I had one of those sears GT mowers about 10 years ago. Good thing I had a warranty. They put 2 transmissions in it. Apparently they mean it when they say don't tow more than 150lbs. Wish I knew more about used Wheel Horses back then. You certainly can't go wrong for $100. Good luck