Sign in to follow this  
edwar355

Need some help

edwar355

Hello to all! This is my first post here with a question no one can seem to answer...apparently these are a very rare machine. I hope someone here has an idea or two. 1968 Toro Professional 70"... I can't figure out how reverse works on it.....best I can tell is it has two pulleys (one from the motor and then the drive pulley)...push the lever forward, the drive pulley moves down and the pulley tightens a belt and you move forward....pull the lever back and the pulleys touch spinning the drive pulley backwards thus making you go in reverse. But my two pulleys are metal and well metal to metal doesn't work to good. I think one is suppose to have a rubber piece around it. Does anyone have an idea?? Or better yet the part I need?? I've looked through schematics on toro.com and can't really tell. Thank you! Mower can be seen here also attached a few pics: http://youtu.be/b111Dh_7DUI

post-10309-0-98162100-1367826835_thumb.j

post-10309-0-74405800-1367826840.jpg

post-10309-0-15291700-1367828720_thumb.j

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:  I have never owned one of these machines so I don't know for sure if they had a rubber piece on them. But the rj35s just had a brass disk that was used for reverse by hitting the metal to metal, it doesn't make the greatest sound, but its neat how its works.

Ken B

I can't help you with your question but I had to let you know that is one wicked cool machine!

Moparfanforever

Cool lookin' machine !! Wish i had it !!

Maybe you could call this guy and he could help ??? http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/atq/3769639135.html ( Not my ad , just thought he might call the guy for help. )

I did a search and there are manuals for sale , might be a good investment if you are going to keep it. Ebay had a few manuals. A service/parts manual would probably have a diagrahm of what you need.

Moparfanforever

With the "crazy wheel" on the back , i wouldn't think you would need reverse very much , it should turn on a dime. Maybe it was made to just cut wide open spaces such as a golf course , baseball/football fields , they wouldn't have had anything to mow around.

If it indeed does have reverse , maybe you need to come to a complete stop to engage it ?? I looked at the parts diagrahm and didn't see anything on the pulleys . Surprisingly you can still get them , but they are expensive !!!!!

It looks like the pullys are ribbed ?? I wouldn't think you could bond anything to them if they are , the main belt would slip off of the pulleys.

Sparky

Maybe TT will see this. He maintains a fleet of golf course equipment.

:WRS:

Mike............

6wheeler

I think that is a "Greens" mower. I had a Montgomery Wards greens mower. It was a 25" and it did not have reverse. The PO told me there was no reverse because you weren't supposed to turn on the green. You cut in one direction so that you wouldn't leave any tracks on the green. Then if you had to turn, you did it on the fairway (not mowing of course). That machine would turn on a dime. I wonder if the reverse is only supposed to be used in a "have to" situation. In your pics, I don't really see any other way it would work besides metal to metal. And, by the way. Welcome to :rs:

Bill Allert

Hi, maybe I can shed some light, I'm a golf course equipment mechanic by trade. That machine is called a tri-plex & are widely used today. Some are set to greens height (I set mine at .125 inch, sometimes lower) & tee heights usually .500 inch.  Some of the more elite courses use a gang of them to cut fairways as well. Any brand I have ever seen has had reverse. Toro has a nice website where we can still get some manuals but it is a little hard to navigate. You will need the model & serial numbers found on a metal plate on the frame. Post them here & I will try to find them.   Bill