Sign in to follow this  
1974-B-80

Tecumseh H60 rebuild

1974-B-80

I would like to rebuild my H60, but I can't find any places online that have them. Most of the websites say not available.

squonk

I haven"t blown up anything but gym equipment in a long time. The last motor I trashed was a 3 horz. Briggs. Amazing engine. I hit a rock with my mom's pusher. destroyed the crank. Was given a motor that sat uncovered under a tree for 10 years. Changed the oil and fresh gas and it was running. Smoked like a diesel for about an hour. Used that motor for another 12 years. Went thru 3 decks with it before again I broke a crank. I'm pushing fate now with my 2 cycle Tecky's running on 94 octane VP fuel. :)

images-11_zps8e3748f2.jpg

DSC05697__44138133711681012801280_zpsddb

Edited by squonk

1974-B-80

How much would it cost to get my h60 rebuilt professionally

MarkPalmer

The amount it would cost depends on what needs to be replaced and/or machined, depending on the condition of the block and internal components.  The H60 is an aluminum block with an iron sleeve economy minded engine, what might be considered a throw-away engine for its time.  The engine was made more to be light weight for mini-bikes and go carts rather than be used on tractors.  I wouldn’t spend a fortune rebuilding one myself.  Now the HH60 on the other hand…. is an iron block engine.  If you can find an HH60 to use for your application, unless you are concerned about a restoration being 100% authentic, no love would be lost using an HH60, and full rebuild costs would be about the same, yet you end up having a lot better of an engine for your machine if you at least want to keep the engine Tecumseh. 

-Mark-

1974-B-80

I was planning on making the tractor as original as possible by having the H60 rebuilt. Would it just be better to find another engine?

1974-B-80

But I also want to have a powerful engine to put the tractor to work at some point after Im done restoring it.

MarkPalmer

You are at a pass where you need to judge if you want to keep the engine original, or spend the same money and repower with something better.  If the plan centers more around putting the tractor to work rather than it being a show queen, I would repower with something better than the Tec H60- that one is near the bottom of my list of favorite small engines.  It wasn't horrible, but there are a lot better engines out there.  For performance and all around best serviceability, I would repower with a Kohler K series engine. 

-Mark-

1974-B-80

Yeah I was thinking maybe a K141 or a K181

MarkPalmer

The K181 is a good bet.  It’s small enough to fit in to (most) anything, it’s strong enough for mowing and light plowing, it lasts a long time if cared for, and because it’s not one on the “big blocks†not too many use them for competition pulling so all the parts and good re-buildable blocks are plentiful.   I’ve even seen a couple of brand new/old stock never powered K181 complete engines come up for auction over the past year, and they didn’t fetch a fortune. 

-Mark-

1974-B-80

So I'll try to find a K181. Would a K241 fit under the hood of my 604?

MarkPalmer

The 10 HP K241 moves up to a big block.  About the same width and length as the K181 and the same PTO height, but it's around 2 inches taller.  I'm not so much a Wheel Horse model expert, but I don't think it will fit under a lot of the older hoods made for the 6-8 HP Tec and Kohler engines.  Someone else here might know this answer better than I do.   

-Mark-

1974-B-80

I just found a K161 and a K181 near me on Craigslist.

WH nut

I just found a K161 and a K181 near me on Craigslist.

There you go, all set