Sign in to follow this  
kaiser

48" side discharge pulleys are shot

kaiser

so my nice gt1600 that i've been so happy with came with a 48" sd deck, i think it's model 05-48MS03 but it has no tags.

i mounted it last night for my first mow of the season and only the center blade was running, so i took off the covers only to find the two outer pulleys are shot/rusted/sharp and just toss the belt.

i need to rehab this thing pronto! my lawn is growing lol.

i'm having trouble finding part#'s and availability on these pulleys.

can any of you wheelhorse guru's help me out?

i have found the part#'s on lookuptoro but there are two part#''s listed for the outer pulleys, and two part#'s for the idler. i want to change all the pulleys because the "good" ones aren't so good.

i have found part# 106074 or 106072 for the outer pulley's

106144 or 6719 for the idler

and 106073 for the main pulley.

which ones are correct?

holy moly, i ran those part#'s through the toro site.....ouch!

the pulleys with two part#'s, the first numers are alot more $$ then the second #'s. can anyone tell me what's up?

thanks.

Don1977

First there are three different sets of pulleys that were used over the years. The first were Double D the were cast iron and had 2 flat side on a 3/4" shaft they were held on by a washer and 3/8" bolt. The second were 3/4" keyed the spindle shaft has a 3/4" fine thread nut and a grease fitting on the top , or a place for one. The third is for the metric spindle it will have a 5/8" hole with out a key way the spindle shaft and a 5/8" fine thread nut also has a grease fitting. Be sure  you have the right pulleys before you order.

kaiser

mine have grease fittings, and a big nut. i'll take it apart over the weekend and measure.

thanks for the tip.

C-85

When I was in the W/H business I can't remember ever replacing these pulleys.  There are no pictures, so it's hard to see the condition of them.  When we encountered a belt problem on these decks, the usual causual factor was the arm holding the idler pulley was frozen up or worked hard and not putting enough tension on the belt.  Then of course if any of the spindle bearing were worn out, that would change the angle and could cause a belt to come off, but even that was rare.  I would check the idler arm and that pulley to make sure it is free and giving the right amount of tension if you haven't already done that.

C-85

kaiser

one pulley is rusted badly and has sharp shard were the lip of the pulley used to be and chunks (i call them rust cookies) that i can chip out of them. i tried to do that but it just keeps tossing the belt.

i'm going to give it another try over the weekend, if not then i'll tear it down and measure them to make sure i get the correct ones. one is really bad and the others are starting to degrade but are still solid.

i'll be sure to take some pics.

Tankman

Expensive pulleys! Try this link http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=Toro+Consumer&mn=05-48ms03

Grass is growin', sorry. :smile:

To be more specific this link'll work also http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=05-48MS03%2C+48"+Side+Discharge+Mower%2C+1984&dn=810358R1-58R10005-0008

Appears the two outer pulleys are the same P/N, same part.

kaiser

thanks for the link tankman, prices are slightly better then toro, not by much though.

yes the two outers do look to be the same. if i can swing it i want to do them all. i want to get a long life out of this deck.

i guess the wife will be mowing about 1.5 acres toworrow, or i can do it and she can till the garden. when i put it that way she'll run for the 22" push mower.

i guess 22" push is better the 16" rider that my deck is reduced to at the moment. lol

Don1977

When I was in the W/H business I can't remember ever replacing these pulleys.  There are no pictures, so it's hard to see the condition of them.  When we encountered a belt problem on these decks, the usual causual factor was the arm holding the idler pulley was frozen up or worked hard and not putting enough tension on the belt.  Then of course if any of the spindle bearing were worn out, that would change the angle and could cause a belt to come off, but even that was rare.  I would check the idler arm and that pulley to make sure it is free and giving the right amount of tension if you haven't already done that.

C-85

I wore out a set of pressed steel deck pulleys, no rust either always kept inside and I bought my tractor and deck new. Got to where the belt would slip in the pulley in any heavy grass. I fixed it took a set of Double D cast iron pulleys bored them out and sleeve them down and faced them off to fit a set on metric spindles.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This file helps to identify the spindle assemblies.

The original and all the possible replacements for each deck over the years are on one page

Garry

groundhog47

so my nice gt1600 that i've been so happy with came with a 48" sd deck, i think it's model 05-48MS03 but it has no tags.

i mounted it last night for my first mow of the season and only the center blade was running, so i took off the covers only to find the two outer pulleys are shot/rusted/sharp and just toss the belt.

i have found the part#'s on lookuptoro but there are two part#''s listed for the outer pulleys, and two part#'s for the idler. i want to change all the pulleys because the "good" ones aren't so good.

which ones are correct?

the pulleys with two part#'s, the first numers are alot more $$ then the second #'s. can anyone tell me what's up?

thanks.

Be careful on those parts sites, the 42 and 48 are usually listed on same list, the 106072 is 42" for the 3/4" bore keyed and the idler is 106144 for 48". (6719 42"). I made the mistake of ordering wrong idler and almost wrong blade drive pulley. Also they have 3/4" keyed and non keyed. Got some dollars involved with any of those, you occasionally find them on ebay (all varieties mentioned) course grass doesn't wait. You might also check the vendors on here, Kelly, for one may have some. Good luck on your hunt and gwest_ca is giving you some great informaton as well as the rest  :WRS:  

:twocents-02cents:Oh yes to answer why so pricy, most can not be found aftermarket, idler can, others I never found, and the suppliers know we sometimes get urgent needs. Every now and then you can see someone with NOS that doesn't want to burn ya because of the "now price"

Edited by groundhog47

gwest_ca

groundhog47 gave me a thought that involves this service bulletin.

I wonder if the later pulleys and shafts did not have the keyways cut into them? That should have reduced manufacturing costs. Perhaps the later pulleys have the same dimensions and could save a few dollars. Anyone know?

Garry

Don1977

groundhog47 gave me a thought that involves this service bulletin.

I wonder if the later pulleys and shafts did not have the keyways cut into them? That should have reduced manufacturing costs. Perhaps the later pulleys have the same dimensions and could save a few dollars. Anyone know?

Garry

The later ones didn't have keys but they are Metric spindles and the pulleys have 5/8" holes.  All the keyed ones I have seen were for 3/4" spindles.

groundhog47

Don and Garry, I had contacted a seller on ebay about 3/4" bore pulleys they had without key way to see if they had any with. Have not personally had a 3/4 bore without key and again saw some on ebay couple back, almost bid till thought of the key. Definetly the 5/8" for metric shafts keyless. At any rate if you could run keyless metric 5/8 why not 3/4, the only diff I can find is type of nut, lock washer and rubber oring for seal , I s'pose. 

Perused through pulleys on ebay and couldn't find a one with 3/4' no key bore, hmmmmm!  Maybe they had one that was reamed out to 3/4, but it looks there wouldn't be much support left.

Edited by groundhog47

kaiser

Thanks for the info g west. I'm at a race today and on my phone. When I get back home today I'll check that file out and take some pics.

I ended up mowing with a pos mtd 21" push. Good thing it was a nice day, I didn't mind it and the wife helped.

Forest Road

I have a set of used spindles and pulleys. PM me for more info

kaiser

here's the offending pulley:

all i had time for last night was a quick soaking on penatration oil and a quick pic.

too much going on, can't find any damn time. lol

post-9777-0-31556900-1367930419.jpg

kaiser

between work and family i've been swamped, but i finally got the pulley off. i had to bring it to work as i didn't have the proper tools.

the pulley is 4 3/4" in diameter and the shaft size is 3/4" and it's keyed.

kaiser

which ones are correct?

thanks.

Be careful on those parts sites, the 42 and 48 are usually listed on same list, the 106072 is 42" for the 3/4" bore keyed and the idler is 106144 for 48". (6719 42"). I made the mistake of ordering wrong idler and almost wrong blade drive pulley. Also they have 3/4" keyed and non keyed. Got some dollars involved with any of those, you occasionally find them on ebay (all varieties mentioned) course grass doesn't wait. You might also check the vendors on here, Kelly, for one may have some. Good luck on your hunt and gwest_ca is giving you some great informaton as well as the rest  :WRS:  

:twocents-02cents:Oh yes to answer why so pricy, most can not be found aftermarket, idler can, others I never found, and the suppliers know we sometimes get urgent needs. Every now and then you can see someone with NOS that doesn't want to burn ya because of the "now price"

so the 106074 is the belt pulley's for the 48"?

bo dawg

That number is correct for the 48" deck end pullys. Which is for the 3/4" keyed spindles.

kaiser

thanks