Sign in to follow this  
galen

RL-366/ RM-425 woes

galen

Ok, pretty dejected. Have a 1076. Tractor is fine, starts runs moves etc. I have the original deck for it, RL-366. A rock supposedly took out one of the spindles. I used to mow with it as a kid, and NO...I didn't take out the spindle! My dad claims it was my brother, but he claims he doesn't rememeber doing it and claims it was me! :scratchead:

Took gear cover off, bevel gear was toast. found a used bevel gear and a spur gear. When I removed the gear and the remaining part of the spindle I found the upper needler bearing on the spindle was cracked. Do these just drive out upward rom beneath the deck? Found sources for them though, but still need the spindle. I have the bottom part of the spindle with the blade, cup, bolt and locking ring. Ironically, the blade is still usable. The cast spindle housing is fine, amazingly.

In looking the deck over I see most of the pivots, bearings and seals are trashed. The cross shaft bearing is gone (how to replace that one?), needs bearings in the pulley, still has original WH drive belts on deck.

Housing is ok, one hole needs patching on top where middle scalp wheel would attach. Rest of metal is good.

Would you guys bother with this? I mean, I started on this road because Plan A was to install the RM-425 deck I got, but that cannot apparently be made to work w/o considerable alterations to the hitch and PTO drive. So I thought Plan B would be to repair old deck. It is after all, the original deck to this tractor. But that is turning out to be as rocky of a road as Plan A.

Plan C would be to just mount a mule drive on front and use a more modern deck. I have a mule drive and front hitch to do it.

I am not retired  and do not have unlimited time (or cash) to throw at this. Nor do I have a machine shop at my diposal, and decks for these just arent to be found around here anymore, and those that are here are "Collectors Items".

Guess what I'm looking for is some encouragement and suggestions: Plan A, Plan B, or Plan C? My problem may be that I'm taking 3 or 4 steps down each path, running up against problems, and back-tracking to switch to another path. Luckily I don't need this thing for my week to week mowing. But I really don't know which road to take.

When I get on the tractor, start it and hydro my fat @#& around the yard it all seems worthwhile! I look in awe at what some of you have done with stuff I would have walked right past, and can see the fruit of your labors. You should rightful be proud!!! :thumbs2: 

I just want something that works.