Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

What's wrong with this picture

MalMac

Replaced a axel seal on a Eaton 11 today. Now I was not looking forward to the hassle of trying to get the Hub off. Every time I have taken a Hub off I have had to use heat, pullers, hammers for gently tapping and some choice words on verbal persuasion to get them off. Now on this one after I got the set screw loosen up I happened to grab ahold of the hub and Wala it slid right off. I have never had this happen. So being the skeptic that I am I started looking for problems like a worn hub, worn axle maybe a key missing. Nope nun of these, everything seemed A-OK so I put it back together with new seal. So what's wrong with this picture never had this happen before. Planets all in line some special Karma floating around. Maybe I should go buy a Lottery ticket.

• Like 5

KATO

Yep... I would :banana-tux:

illinilefttackle

May be old seal leaked a small amount for a long time-just enough to keep inside hub and axle wet-keeping it free-Al

• Like 3

GlenPettit

"If you expect (and prepare for) the worst, then you just might get the best . . . ."

. . . that's life . . . 

specialwheelhorse

You might blame that on Never Seeze, You just never know !!!

Jim

Hatedge

Replaced a axel seal on a Eaton 11 today. Now I was not looking forward to the hassle of trying to get the Hub off. Every time I have taken a Hub off I have had to use heat, pullers, hammers for gently tapping and some choice words on verbal persuasion to get them off. Now on this one after I got the set screw loosen up I happened to grab ahold of the hub and Wala it slid right off. I have never had this happen. So being the skeptic that I am I started looking for problems like a worn hub, worn axle maybe a key missing. Nope nun of these, everything seemed A-OK so I put it back together with new seal. So what's wrong with this picture never had this happen before. Planets all in line some special Karma floating around. Maybe I should go buy a Lottery ticket.

:techie-eureka: You ought to tell the wife you need to buy another tractor and make sure this was only a fluke of nature! lol

• Like 1

MalMac

Well don't know if it was a fluke of Nature or some oil that was leaking or what. I am not going to question good luck. I can tell you that I did put never seize on it when I slid the hub back on. Like GlennPettit said. I prepared for the worst and was delivered the best that could happen, and to think I drug out all kinds of pullers and assorted tools. Even practiced warming up with a few chosen words in case the vocabulary was needed. All in All a good day.

• Like 1

Hatedge

Weel anti seize is the way to go for future assemblies I guess. Ill keep that in mind

SousaKerry

I have had a few do this, usually with a leaky seal. 

The Lawn Ranger I am working on one side slid off easy the other side required a very large puller.

Kevbo

Same happened with my B-80. The one hub is still stuck! Soon I'll have to persuade it to finally getting it off hehe

MarkPalmer

I'll tell you what's wrong.... you won't be able to get the hub to stay tight now.  :ychain:

-Mark-

MalMac

You know that had seriously cross my mine. So far so good it's staying tight.

doc724

Did you reuse the set screws or use new ones?  Also, does anyone know if the hub does slide, does it slide in (toward the transaxle) or out.  Or is it totally random?  Reason for asking is that I have to do the same seal replacement and after I pull the hubs, I intend to be generouw with never sieze compound

Don1977

Did you reuse the set screws or use new ones?  Also, does anyone know if the hub does slide, does it slide in (toward the transaxle) or out.  Or is it totally random?  Reason for asking is that I have to do the same seal replacement and after I pull the hubs, I intend to be generouw with never sieze compound

My hubs always slid into the transmission. Always use new set screws if a hub has slid as it wears the gripping surface off the end of the set screw. I use never seize on my axles then wipe them down to a thin coat. After installing the hubs I cleaned the ends and painted them heavy to seal out and water.

953 nut

You may want to use shaft colar on the inside axle to be sure it won't move inward and also use a new set screw on the hub.

:USA: