Sign in to follow this  
Indy443

Take off Snowblower, put on mow deck...

Indy443

Hi guys,

I think snowblowing season is over. I hope snowblowing season is over.

I purchased my 1992 312-8 back in February with the snowblower already attached and ready for work. I used it many times this winter and it performed flawlessly. Now I need to remove the snowblower and get the mow deck hooked up.

I've read how easy this is (guys doing it in under a minute?) but I have never done it. Can anyone point me in the direction of a video outlining the steps in making the transition? Or a set of clear step by step instructions on detatching the blower and then hooking up the deck.

I'm sure it's one of those cases of once you've done it once it's simple. But I'd like to do it right that first time.

Many thanks!

Jesse

Indy443

Hi again guys,

I am stuck on something that seems very basic. As you can see in the video I am unable to remove the drive belt to the snowblower because I cannot move the black tab out of the way to swing the bale open. What am I missing here?

th_IMG_0186.jpg

WH nut

You may have to remove the pin on the bail thats under the PTO so it will drop clear

Indy443

Are you talking about the larger cotter pin and locking washer that holds the bottom of the black 'half circle'? I did remove both of those but that does not allow enough play for the black tab to clear the PTO, thus allowing you to remove the belt.

Do I knock out the small pin holding the black tab to the black 'half circle'?

I am annoyed at myself for not figuring out what is probably a very simple step. 

You may have to remove the pin on the bail thats under the PTO so it will drop clear

Indy443

Currently at this point: 

photo.jpg

The belt cannot be removed because the black metal piece will not allow the large black bail to swing out of the way.

What am I doing wrong?

Callen

pull the pin out of the threaded rod. That will let the black piece move out far enough to drop down and swing back or forth remember what was in each hole because it will drop out of the top bracket

WH nut

There is a hair pin clip on the bottom of the bail where it goes into the lower hole. Sometimes that give you enough play

WH nut

I was going to post a picture but i dont know how on a response

Hydro

You will have to remove that Pin          

WH nut

this pin

Indy443

Hi WH nut,

Your picture didn't make it through unfortunately.

I ended up spraying WD40 on the little pin and using a nail punch to help it through. When it finally came free I was able to completely remove the black piece which allowed me to swing the black bale free and remove the belt, thus allowing me to remove the blower. But the pin was very crumbly and definitely will not go back in. Is that really the proper way to get a belt on and off? It seems far too finicky and unthoughtful than everything else on this tractor/attachments. With that little pin out, will I no longer be able to engage the PTO? 

I am simply happy to have the blower removed and in the shed at this point. I am learning that even though these are simple machines (I am admittedly not a great wrench as you have probably figured out) but I do learn and retain things once I have seen it done the right way.  I have some stuff to learn yet..

this pin

WH854

Here you go a picture of your PTO

PTOPicture.gif

All the parts on your PTO

Chas

Edited by WH854

Kevbo

Indy I am glad you got that pin out! Find a new one now and you will be back in business. I am sure you are excited to get mowing with that 312-8!! I absolutely love my 312-8 for mowing. It has the perfect amount of power for me and has great handling. Share us some pictures! :handgestures-thumbupright:

W9JAB

There is no wrong way, just experience.

Learn from your mistakes, so you can

Repeat them perfectly.

:eusa-think: 

SousaKerry

I actually removed the roll pin on my C-175 and use a stretched out hair pin, makes it much easier to get it apart.  I have a muffler like yours, right over the PTO that makes things difficult to get too.

Edited by Sousakerry2

WH854

Should not have to remove that roll pin from the hoop just the part # 28 in the picture above! :thumbs:

Chas

WH nut

Should not have to remove that roll pin from the hoop just the part # 28 in the picture above! :thumbs:

Chas

and if you still dont have enough room sometimes removing # 32 helps. thats what I tried posting a picture of

TheReDStAnG

Next time, remove cotter pin (#20) that attaches to the trunion (#14), then pull trunion (#14) out of pto bracket (#17).  This will allow you to pull hoop out further.  Good luck.  BTW get some cotter keys to replace those cotter pins.  That makes changeover effortless.

WH854

Take  #28  out # 33 swing hoop to left you can take belt off of pulley :thumbs:

Chas

WH nut

Take  #28  out # 33 swing hoop to left you can take belt off of pulley :thumbs:

Chas

Dont always have enough room. Hell on my 520 I have to pull #17 all the way off

wallfish

Stang nailed it. Remove 2 clips (#20 & #28) and the hoop should swing to the left. No tools required.

post-658-0-30252900-1366942865_thumb.jpg

post-658-0-22263800-1366942876.jpg

Wyattrrp

Yes Stang is correct.  It takes a few seconds to remove the trunion and the Pin 28 then the hoop can rotate.

On my 1981 C125 just removing #28 clip in the parts diagram allows the #31 hoop to swing left to clear the pulley and remove the belt.

However newer PTOs, like on my 1990 312-8, after removing #28 clip the hoop wont rotate as you found out, since the #29 bracket hits the shaft. The hoop is too close to the shaft centered in middle of #29 part.  You must remove #28 then remove the cotterpin from #14, lift 14 out of the triangular #17 plate and then #17 can rotate moving the hoop #31 out far enough so the #29 clears the pulley shaft moving it left clearing the belt removal.

In your 2nd photo, #14 is on the long rod with the threads to adjust PTO tension.  You have a bent over cotterpin and grey colored washer that should be removed from your #14, then the threaded rod and #14 will drop down and allow you to rotate  #17, moving the hoop #30 outward to clear the clip #29 so you rotate the hoop #30 left clearing the belt area.

It will be much easier if you replace that bentover cotter pin with a hitchclip shown in Walllfishes photo, so you dont need to bend a cotter pin back n forth each time.  A hitchclip  snaps into the cotter hole on the trunion #14 and can easily be pulled out when changing belts or rotating the trunion #14 to adjust the tension on the PTO.

WH854

Well  I will try again, on my C-165 and C-105 all I have to do is remove #28 from #29 and #33 #29  drops back to go past #33 to let the hoop #31 swing to the left Wala Works for me :thumbs:

Chas

Callen

Chas, your pic is the older style. My pic is the newer style.

post-5271-0-94550200-1367015774_thumb.gi

29 wraps so tight on the bail that it can't pivot.

Edited by Callen

546cowboy

Never seen anything get so complicated in such a short time. The first thing to do is remove that PTO linkage rod, then the hair pins top and bottom  and then pull the pin out and swing the bail out of the way. GeZZZZZZ :ychain: