Sign in to follow this  
thehorse

Manual pto vs electric

thehorse

Was wondering what the track record is on the electric pto. The 315 I picked up has one. It's a 2005.

I was also wondering if they can "easily" be converted over to a manual pto. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hodge71

Well I can't speak to the specifics of you 315 but I can tell you that I have a 1973 12 automatic that my Dad bought brand new in '73. It has an electric clutch on it and has run a 42 inch deck in conjunction with the Wheel Horse 7-2613 lawn vac and dump trailer all summer long for 40 years, Ran the tiller evey spring and it has never skipped a beat no matter how high the grass or how tough the soil. I cant say the same about the manual clutch on my 416   

• Like 1

Forest Road

Just think of all the abuse an air conditioning pump endures on a 300,000 car. It's basically the same electric clutch setup. Use it! Enjoy it!

• Like 1

thehorse

Thanks for the info!

chrisd200(inactive)

I actually converted my D200 to an electric clutch because of constant problems with the manual one. I have been using it for over 4 years now to run a 48" mower, 60" rear mower and a 50" tiller. No problems yet :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

thehorse

Great. Thanks!

Racinbob

I prefer the manual but then again, I'm just now warming uo to power windows on a car. I really liked the manual on my 76 C-series and had no issues at all. Sold it 24 years later when we moved here. Now I have a 315 as well with the electric. No problems so far but it isn't working nearly as hard as my beloved 76.

dave in A.P.

Is the Kohler engine on this model capable of side thrust against the crankshaft,like the old K and Magnum engines are?

thehorse

I have no idea....I was hoping to find out.

thehorse

My 314-8 has a manual pto with the command series engine. The 315 also has a command engine.

leeave96

I like the manual PTO - at least on the 300/400/500 series as those series are what I have. I knew a guy that had a Wheelhorse for about 30 or more years with an electric PTO and it was fine - but when it did finally go bad, it cost a lot of $$$'s to replace. Other things I like about the manual PTO's on these Wheelhorse tractors are they are ultra simple to service and you can feather on an implement.

MalMac

I never have had a Wheel Horse with an electric clutch, so I have not first hand knowledge. The only problem i could see is that with the manual you can ease into engaging an implement without the shock of just a totally full engagement all at once. But easing the PTO in with the manual you also will have a certain amount of wear on your clutch plate as you slip it in until everything comes up to speed.

I do have an electric on a z turn machine and when you engage it, it cherps and squeals for just a moment. I have never had any problems with it. So  I would say they both have pro's and con's. Just the electric may be more money for repairs. There again how much longer is Toro going to keep parts for the old PTO system.

Moparfanforever

Two things i do when engaging any clutch on my tractors , especially electric , i engage them with the throttle a small amount above idle and not WOT. I do the same when disengaging the clutch , backing off the throttle and disengage the clutch.

Not sure if it matters doing that , but it seems like it couldn't hurt ??? I was reading about it on the net somewhere and thought it was a good idea.

• Like 1

chrisd200(inactive)

That is exactly how you are suppose to engage/disengage an electric pto.