Sign in to follow this  
Dieselcowboy

c175

Dieselcowboy

Came up with a c175 auto last night. Needs a fender pan but other wise not bad condtion. Runs like a champ. Has Onan engine P218 and hyd lift. Anyone know any cool facts on these tractors ?  This is my first black hood tractor. I kinda like it. Try to post a pic when I get home tonight.

post-6454-0-95511600-1366065484_thumb.jp

• Like 1

6wheeler

Another on brought over to the DARK side. You will like it alot. I will always have at least one black hood around :banana-wrench:  :beer:

Hodge71

Other than the fact that you should have a KT-17 Kohler twin in it, not an Onan. If it truly is an Onan, it has been repowered. Not that its a bad thing that it has an Onan. How about some pics of the new addition to the herd. It might help us a little more. Can t go wrong with any horse really   

AMC RULES

:woohoo:  Can't wait to see it. 

Dieselcowboy

I have found the only 2 problems I see with this mower. The rear end is leaking at the brake drum and the hyd cyl is also leaking. Would these be easy fixes. Maybe be able to install new seals from the outside or am I wrong?  Should would like to hang on to this tractor.

Wheel-N-It

Just jumping in to say I like you BlackHood. I bought a C-125. They are stout. I can't really help you with the seal replacement, sorry. Someone here will though. I'm sure of that.

Butch

It has a good top end speed. It's a real beast when getting jobs done. I love my C-175. My only complaint is the amount of fuel it sucks down.

baerpath

Yes seal on the brake shaft is changed from the outside As for the cylinder there are two types rebuildable and welded See what one you have, somtimes it's just easier to replace it

Jake Kuhn

Nice looking horse!

Hodge71

Great looking black hood. A trip to tractor supply for a seat and youre good to go for mowing season!!  

MalMac

Looks like a Onan to me. If it has the rebuildable cylinder it is easy providing nothing is scored on the inside. Get your seal kit from Classic Kitchens. Great kit for just the fraction of what Toro wants. I just put one in on a C-145.

546cowboy

That Onan makes it a better tractor already. Never had a K-17 that ran good. But I've only had two so there are bound to be good ones out there. Never had a P-218 either but a P-220 is pretty much the same engine and I've had 6 or7 of those. You'll love the power and the sound of the Onan. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Dieselcowboy

What size would this compare to in something like a 518? or a c160? How decent are the hydros in these series mowers? Would a fender pan from any other model fit this tractor or is it model specific? Thank you

I am thinking a muffler from a 520 will fit this. I have 2 stainless pipes that would look good for twin stacks if nothing else.

c175inMA

Are you sure the cylinder is leaking or is it the hoses? Mine were leaking from the swivel joints and the o-rings which is a pretty easy fix.

puddlejumper

Yes, there are metal pans that will fit it, Just out of curiosity take a close look at the mimi farm tractor.

SousaKerry

Any metal seat pan from a C-1X1 to 3XX,4XX,5XX just about will fit as long as it has the fuel tank hole

546cowboy

The hydro should be a Eaton 11 and as for compared to a 518 with that Onan in there and that hydro you're way better off. The 518 had an Eaton 7 and wasn't near as good as the 11. A 520 muffler should fit.

boovuc

My C-175 still sports the original KT17 Series 1 motor. I have a series II lined up for it if the seller and I can ever get the distance in miles between us and our time available on the same page. (Mostly my fault)! :< )

The Onan replacement is great in regard to the fact that you have a Blackhood C series tractor running regardless what is powering it. The fact it is a twin of that horsepower makes the replacement engine a near mirror replacement of the old KT that used to sit under that hood.

Love them or hate them, Blackhoods are every bit a Wheelhorse. The hood and dash are about the only real differences in them from the previous C-Series to the newer 300, 400 and 500 series tractor. They accept every single implement and accessory that the older and newer WH tractors take and they had the benefit of a bigger, smoother twin motor.

Almost everyone I know who have the Blackhoods replace the fiberglass seat pans with a metal pan which are readily available.

Good Luck with her!

Wyattrrp

Gotta love those Blackhoods. 

This is a photo of my herd today....  I WISH!   However this IS the 1981 sales brochure photo I saw when shopping for my original C-125 that really struck my eye.  It is still a worker on snow removal and part time mowing.

8676718352_9bafeccc5a.jpg

• Like 1

Dieselcowboy

I did pickup a metal fender pan at Mentone for $5. Makes it look alot better.   Now one more thing... I have a hose leaking on the valve body for the lift. It is leaking at the swivel joint. I would assume I will have to replace the hose to fix it?  Anyone have parts for a c175 auto with hyd lift?

boovuc

Mine is an 8 speed so I'm not familiar with it. Look at the Partstree blowup of the assembly and see if it is part of the valve body or separate. A good hydro repair shop can fix these things if it isn't proprietary to WH.