Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Should I take off the wheel weights?

dsholler

Ok. It appears spring has arrived in ct. I finally took the snow thrower an chains off, but I am wondering if I should bother removing the wheel weights? Is there any harm in leaving them on?

WH nut

Id leave them on. Wont hurt a thing.

Tankman

Take the wheel weights off. Why not?

Clean 'em up, shelf them. Clean the wheels and perhaps lube the wheel bolts. Put the "baby moons" on!

Hello spring! :smile:

bitten

If it is on a Hydro I would remove them. I have read that the Hydro's dont like the wheel weights( I just cant remember where I seen this). Even if it is a gear drive the removal of the weights if not needed seems like a nice thing to do for your Wheel Horse as it wont have to pull the extra weight.

If I can remember where I read this I will post it.

Fun Engineer

If your going to be mowing with your tractor you would be better off removing them.  The added weight will only contribute to soil compaction which you want to avoid.

GlenPettit

Like David said, above:    If your going to be mowing with your tractor you would be better off removing them.  The added weight will only contribute to soil compaction which you want to avoid.

For mowing, you want to be very lightweight with a soft "footprint" on the lawn (wide tires too).

But for towing, you want the traction, which the extra weight will give you.  For my C-101 towing (and plowing) tractor I leave both the chains and the weights on all year.

Don1977

If you only have 50 lbs. in each wheel, I don't think soil compaction is going to be a problem.

• Like 1

Challenger

If your going to be mowing with your tractor you would be better off removing them.  The added weight will only contribute to soil compaction which you want to avoid.

My wife suggested that I GO ON A DIET for the same reason!

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

I leave mine on year round plus the chains. But my ground is hilly. If I had flat ground I would remove the chains and maybe the weights after some test runs.

AMC RULES

Saves on gas too.  :)

Edited by amcrules00

squonk

I'd take them off. Moisture and salt get trapped between the weight and wheel. When I take them off, I always find rust starting. Plus a lot of grass builds up on the wheels and gets trapped behind the weights and do the wheels no favors.

can whlvr

i leave mine on,i too have hilly ground and they help with stability,i have 2 tractors that are chained up all year too

Whmaverick

I can't understand why anyone would have those ugly, troublesome, expensive weights instead of loading the tires which gives better traction anyway. Just my humble opinion. LOL

• Like 1

IthacaJeff

There have been many discussions about the negative effects of leaving on the

extra weight, but it seems primarily to be opinion. Not sure if the added weight

hastens wear and tear or not. Taking them off for cleaning, checking for rust,

and general maintenance is a good idea.

I leave my on, mostly because I am too lazy to remove them. My 416-8 is called

upon to mow in some unforgiving places, including steep banks and high weeds.

I think the added low center of gravity weight is beneficial and even helps with

safety.

Jeff

leeave96

I leave mine on year round w/ag's too.  Doesn't hurt anything in my yard or the others I mow.  Makes the tractor go like a Jeep!

However, this year I'm working up a plan to mount my wheel weights on my mighty fine 314-8 on the inside of the rim and put hub caps on the outside.  Once I get this done, it will run that way forever!!!!!!

Good luck,

Bill

Lane Ranger

I keep my wheel weights on the B-80 Wheel Horse with my 36 inch rear discharge mower all year long.  

dsholler

Well, same issue here... I expect laziness will win out, although I may at least unscrew and lube the bolts.. since I bought them at the hardware store and just threw them on. And I figure the extra traction cannot hurt. It is a 414-8 and I do not own any hubcaps, so the main reasons people take them off does not apply to me.

Jack Fate

Whmaverick, what are you loading wheels with may I ask?

looking for something better than what destroyed my last wheels

cheers

squonk

I use RV antifreeze. It has corrosion inhibitors and is non toxic and cheaper than Rim Guard

Hodge71

Well I'm probably going to get flack about this but I'm just speaking from personal experience. My Dad made a custom set of steel wheel weights for the front and rear of his 12 Auto in 1973 when he got it and they've only been off once for new sneakers about 10 years ago. The front weights are approximately  45 pounds each and the rears were about 110 each. Much, much heavier than the factory weights. There have never been issues with wear and tear. It still has the original axle bearings and seals in the rear and they don't leak a drop. The front spindles are just fine, only changed the tie rod ends  5 years ago. This tractor pulls and pushes like nothing I've ever seen for its size and power and the stability is much better than my 416. It lived 90% of its life with the wheel horse Vac/bagger attachment on it which we still have. Not to mention tiller /aereator duty in spring and plow duty all winter    Hydro has never had an issue either. Change the oil every other year with 10w30 and a new filter and all has been well for 40 years now. Just my opinion dont hang me. Next time hes out mowing I'll get some pics of the weights

dcrage

It was said earlier and I will throw my vote in -- The biggest issue will be soil compaction -- Might be a problem for you or might not depending on you yard and what kind of soil you have -- After 20+ years (and 10+ years of that I left the weights on) the soil compaction is one of the problems with my non-existant yard -- Now proving that my tractor caused this I can't do; but I don't think I helped it with the weights on

Jack Fate

I'm with Hodge 71 on this with wieght like this you can do stuff others can't

Cheers

leeave96

Look at soil compaction as a benefit with additional weight as you will have to add an aerator to the fleet, which = MORE SEAT TIME!!!!! ;)

dsholler

My yard could use an aerator.. only hassle there is finding all the darn sprinkler heads.. Well, I think the conclusion is I am going to leave them on, at least until I feel the need to paint them, which probably will be next summer (bit of rust just starting to show through...)

Jack Fate

I live in this mythical land of CLAY in the woods sorry your normal rules don't apply here

sorry had speak as others were so adamant in their statements about soil compaction ok maybe in your land that's right . Just not everywhere ok no disrespect . But sometimes soil compaction means chit.traction is what you really need

land of clay cheers