Sign in to follow this  
BOWTIE

I JUST SOLD MY 2006 315-8

leeave96

Are the commands as good as the magnums?  At least for longevity?  I know they are smoother and have a tad more power. 

My impression of the Commands are - they are good engines.  However, compared to a single cylinder K or Magnum, they are a pain to work-on.  I have an 18 hp twin Command in a Simplicity Sovereign garden tractor and had to change the head gaskets on it. What a pain in the buttox!!!!  On my 314-8, piece of cake.  Same with the K series engines on my IHCC's.

Having said the above - my take (and from what I glean from my Simplicity friends - who have a lot of experience with the Commands), is you will get a lot of hours out of the engines.  Likely over 2,000 before a rebuild - except, I don't think folks rebuild these engines, but replace them.  Several of the Simplicity guys use a Honda twin instead of the Command.

It's interesting to me that as good as these Kohler cast iron K or Magnum or later Command engines are in these old iron tractors, in a lot of ways, the engine is STILL the weak link.  We read all the time about the engines being replaced, but hardly ever about the tranny, axles, clutches, etc. - LOL.

That's my 2 cents!

Bill

Edited by leeave96

BOWTIE

WELL THAT'S TRUE WITH A REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR ALSO. THE MOTOR GOES FIRST,THEN AUTOMATICS. THE MANUAL TRANS AND REAREND WILL LAST FOREVER. I WOULD RATHER HAVE A SINGLE K,MAGNUM OR COMMAND THEN A TWIN ONAN PERSONALLY.

BOWTIE

SAM58

I also have a 1998 314-8 with about 525 Hours? runs fine with no problems, other than the PO did not keep the grass out of the engine cowl.

I did not notice until the starter started acting funny so I took it off and found grass packed behind & inside the engine cowl.

Clean it out and everything works fine.

A note about BOWTIE's tractors....

He does the absolute best job cleaning & restoring Wheel Horse tractors that I have ever seen.

I have seen them in person and it is hard to believe that he uses them to mow, I seen the 315-8 before and after.

He has a SK-486 that is my favorite of the bunch, well and the 314-8... all show room quality.

:flags-usa:  :flags-usa:  :flags-usa: