Sign in to follow this  
homegrownusa

520H Deck Belt Longevity

homegrownusa

I have mowed for 10 yrs with my 520H.  It seems every year I replace the main deck drive belt.  I always use factory replacements.  Is that normal?  I got the belt for my deck.  I always ask the service guy if they have a higher quality I could try but he says I am getting the best.  I have tried various tensions over the years.  Over tight, loose, and just right.  Same results.  Is this normal wear for most people?  I have a 48 inch deck with gator blades.  Any suggestions?

ratcliffe36

Is the deck in alignment and are the pulleys in good shape?  My 310-8 eats belts and I'm pretty sure it's the pulleys.

Don1977

Those pressed steel pulleys wear out slip and destroy belts. Mine got so bad I could not get it to mow in tall heavy grass.

WH nut

I have been mowing with all of my horses for more than 10 years and have never replaced a belt. Check your pulleys.

fisherman

I know that I traded a 60" commercial deck to a member and the belt on the deck itself was the original 20yr old belt!

homegrownusa

The bearings seem fine. I never thought about the pulleys being worn themselves. Maybe the belt is going to far down in the pulley and wearing the sides. Now do you think it is all pulleys or just the front lowers at the tension adjustments? The pulley on the deck is newest cause i bought the deck in 2003. The others are original 1989.

ratcliffe36

Not sure about your issue exactly but it may be related to belt size as well as pulley condition.  It's probably the pulleys near the tensioner.  Does the belt ride in the center of the outer-most pulley?  If it rubs the outside edge that can cause premature wear.  Make sure the spacers in between the pulleys are in the correct order so that the belt runs free and clear.  If your pulleys have taken a hit like mine then the pulleys may be warped.  That causes the belt to flop around and heat to the point of failure.  Maybe someone more saavy can point you in the right direction for some good replacements and be sure to check that you are using the right size belt for your application.  I had been using a belt that was too short and that caused the belt to rub the outer pulley on the tensioner. 

homegrownusa

I have wondered the same thing over the years. Is the belt too long or short and is alignment right. I am always verified by parts and service guys at local dealer and i have new tensioner with new deck to compare. I have always used original tensioner cause i couldnt see any difference. I am going to look closer at pulley v grove wear this time. Maybe try new pulleys.

ratcliffe36

When you figure it out, post your solution to help us all.  These things can be tricky for those of us who are new to this.  By the way, I love Purlear.  I have a little place up past Millers Creek off of Walsh rd.  We get up there every chance we get.  Good luck!

leeave96

Are you talking about the belt from the PTO to the deck or the deck belt?  I've had trouble with PTO to deck belts slipping on my Wheelhorse decks.  There have been times where it was very frustrating too!  I don't know if I'm getting some moisture on the belt from dew or just wet grass from a previous rain (sometimes you just gotta mow) or the grass is 5-6 inches tall vs shorter.

I need to replace the PTO belt on my 520H this year and see if that helps.  I'll be watching closer this year for the slippage.

The only time I've never slipped a belt on a Wheelhorse was my 314-8 had the rear discharge with the mulching baffle in it.  I was mowing and the deck got clogged with thick heavy grass and stalled the engine - LOL.  Probably the ONLY time that 14 hp engine has been brought to it's knees.

FWIW - I'm also tinkering with a few IH Cub Cadets and Simplicity tractors.  So far I haven't been able to slip a belt with the Cub Cadet - we'll see how it goes this year with the Wheelhorses.

Thanks!

Bill

ratcliffe36

For me it was the mule drive pulleys at the front.  I'm sure you tried tightening the adjuster and your clutch right?  Aside from that I wouldn't know without looking at it.  My neighbor has a Cub and he loves it.  I love it to because he gave me his WH before he went to pick it up! 

leeave96

For me it was the mule drive pulleys at the front.  I'm sure you tried tightening the adjuster and your clutch right?  Aside from that I wouldn't know without looking at it.  My neighbor has a Cub and he loves it.  I love it to because he gave me his WH before he went to pick it up! 

I've tightened everything.  I'm going to try new belts this year and keep a closer eye on it.

Don1977

I would check the double drive pulley on the deck.  I went and looked at the old pulley I took off my deck. Putting my finger on the pulley grove I could feel the wear where it had slipped. I have also seen some wear in the idler pulleys on the mule drive, but i don't think it would be a problem unless the bearings in them were bad.

leeave96

Firstly - to the OP, sorry to hijack this thread!!!

I would check the double drive pulley on the deck.  I went and looked at the old pulley I took off my deck. Putting my finger on the pulley grove I could feel the wear where it had slipped. I have also seen some wear in the idler pulleys on the mule drive, but i don't think it would be a problem unless the bearings in them were bad.

I'll check the pulleys - good suggestion.

FWIW, with the exception of one mowing deck I have, all of them have less than 200 hrs on them.  The deck with higher hours would be 400 hrs.  Really, this is total tractor hours, so the actual deck hours would be less.

So do you folks get zero belt slippage in all conditions?  By that, I don't mean extreme 12 inch tall or higher grass.  As an example, my cheap MTD Cub Cadet lawn tractor will plow through thick, wet grass, that is at least 5 - 6 inches tall (cutting down to about 2.5 - 3 inches) with no belt slippage at all. So will my 40 year old IH Cub Cadet 109 with worn/rusty deck pulleys.  My Dad has a Simplicity Prestige, no problem and from my mis-spent youth, an old Sears Suburban with 48 inch deck that would stall the engine everytime vs slipping a belt.

I just need to know what is normal for these tractors.  And I'm likely overblowing things here, but really I never noticed/experienced any belt slippage until I started using the Wheelhorse tractors.

I'll get this figured out, but really appreciate everyone's experiences - not like I can look around the neighborhood and see a bunch of like tractors mowing and chit-chat with the owners - so thanks again for everyone's input, experiences and suggestions!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

WH nut

I have never had a belt slip, I adjist the mule drive to about 3/4 to 1 inch defection

ratcliffe36

That's what I think too.  Tighten that sucker down.  There is the danger of breaking the mule drive adjuster knob if you aren't careful though.  Those three blades don't have a lot of momentum on their own, they need a good connection to the torque of the motor.  If your belt is slipping and you don't hear the motor laboring comensurate with the amount of labor taking place, you have a loose belt.

leeave96

Belts are tight, sometimes to the point of thinking I'm going to wreck a bearing.

I'm going to try some new belts this year and we'll see.  I'll keep a closer eye on it too so I have a clearer picture of what's going on when I report back.

Thanks!!!!!!

Bill

pfrederi

On one of my 48' SD decks the belt rubbed on the edge of the reinforcing plate on top of the deck (under the deck pulleys).  It was the return side that rubbed.  i had to file down the edge of the reinforcing plate.