Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Which is better AG's or Turfs with chains?

nylyon

This past blizzard (about 1") taught me the answer to a commonly asked question. What is better turf tires with chains or AG's (without chains)? The scenario is as follows.

The machines:

1994 416-H with single stage blower 23x9.50-12 Turf Tires with 2-link chains and no wheel weights (except for the 200lb driver!)

1987 414-8 with 48" plow 23x8.50-12 AG tires with AG tires and wheel weights front and rear. (same 200lb driver)

The test ground:

250' driveway sloped downward towards the street. Asphalt.

1" powder snow, thin layer of ice under.

The test:

First pass was done with the turf's and chains. There was little noticable slipping on the driveway in either direction. Test was to lift the blower midway up the driveway loading the front lightening the rear. Able to continue up without issue.

Second pass was done with the AG's. Going downhill, there was no slipping, and smoother ride. Up hill slippage occurred. Lifted the plow midway up the driveway and started from complete stop. There was quite a bit of slippage, but the AG's got traction (eventually) and continued up.

Conclusion:

Although the snow was light, there was a clear advantage of having chains on turf tires. I am considering putting turf tires on the 414-8 and getting another set of chains for it.

Additional note:

The plow tractor is kept in the shed. It was very difficult to back up the ramp into the shed door without pushing and adding sand. I do not think that the turf's with chains would have had the same problem.

So there you have it -- Get turf tires with chains for winter use!

T-Mo

Chains over the turfs probably would give more traction, but when using chains on asphalt or concrete may cause some damage to those surfaces. In that vein, then Ags might be a good solution. Sounds like you got them both covered.

kj4kicks

I think the thin layer of ice under all that snow is a key factor here. If I read it right, after the Ag's got through the ice, they worked ok.

I'll know for sure when we get our first blizzard. The 160 with the blower has turfs-n-chains, the 520 FEL has fresh Ag's.

As a side note, I also think that a fresh set of ag's will work way better than an older set. The rubber is softer, and the edges aren't worn. Of course, Ag's never work good in reverse!

Another $.02 in the bank.....

Eldon.

GlenPettit

Karl:

Weight, Weight, Weight!

With either turf or lug tire, weight will make a big improvement (and also have 20# psi air in all tires for Winter); weight mainly on the rear axle (filled tires, in or out wheel weights, or even all three).

Weight on the front will help also, especially to reduce side-slipping.

With Ag tires, you can use an acetone to etch the lug surface and also cut the leading edge sharp (like pullers do).

I've added 500# on my C-161, nothing stops her. For my filled Winter set of tires, they are Summer stored in plastic, w/chains on, after spraying a heavy coating of STP Protectent on all the rubber to restore the oils & flexability.

Michigan Glen

nylyon

The tractor with the AG's has 50# weights on each rear and 30# on the front and slipped, however the one with chains and turf tires (TurfTrac R/S) running 12psi have no added weight and there was no slipping.

nylyon

Oh and by the way, welcome!

Curmudgeon

I agree, the key there is THIN ice. Lay down a nice base of ice, or frost, and you'll set there and spin all day. So much is determined my individual circumstances. In snow and ice, chains on turfs will always provide the best traction. Maybe you can get by with less than the best, if so, ags could fill the bill.

And scratches in the driveway? Good god people, it's a DRIVEWAY, not the living room floor. LOL Personally, I just can't live so uptight as worry about a scratch in the road.

Dale

nylyon

You got it Dale, last year with just the AG's there were many a time just sitting there spinning away. At least with the chains I've got a chance of getting back up. Not too worried about scratching the driveway any more than I am about scratching the chains :D

Rollerman

I've always leaned towards turfs & chains to for snow plowing/blowing.

Like Geri said...got to have weight!

As far as scratching the asphalt surface on drives.....go right ahead.

That means guys like me who pave for a living will always be employed :D

Stephen in northern IN

Sparky

I'm surprized you did so well with the blower tractor with no weights(other than yourself). I have over 80#s on each rear tire and 2 link chains and I think its JUST enough. Maybe in a big deep snow you'll find ya need weights. I'm a firm believer in 2 ply turfs with chains. I have tried AG's with weights and no chains and wasnt impressed. Never tried em with chains but I figured the chains would slip into the "groove" of the AG tread and not be so useful.

Mike.......

nylyon

The Eaton 11 adds a few pounds, probably makes it about the same weight back there as the 8-speed with weights.

WheelHorse_of_course

Last year with my 1969 Charger 12 (Older version of a C120 H) and Turfs with chains I never got completely stuck. <_<

We had some good storms last year in NE Ohio, and a few times I let things get behind. I did determine how deep I can let it pile up without hassle!

On Easter I slept in and then guests arrived so I let it go way too far. But I never got completely stuck, though it took forever and I did blow the engine at the end of my route!

This year I have the blower to experiment with, but I think I'll stick with the plow for most stuff.

Been traveling waay too much for work lately and need a couple of weekends to finish up the engine transplant.

TN CRAWLER

TRACKS,

IF YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH YOU CAN GO OVER

T N CRAWLER

nylyon

TRACKS,

IF YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH YOU CAN GO OVER

T N CRAWLER

I was waiting for that one :D

Nick

I plow out a 75 year old neighbor and the church so I know both of those will frown at me if I scratch up the sidewalks but still might try chains this winter. If we get a big snow like last year ags might not keep me going. Also never use a blower. The church windows, and historical building next door with custom $1,500 windows, just look like they are waiting for a rock to fly at them. :D

Loader did ok last year with skid loader style tires and near 300 pounds of weights. It was just to slow moving snow unless it was a big pile like this.

pile004.jpg