Sign in to follow this  
ron.cieri.313

Spindle disassembly question

ron.cieri.313

Hi all...i am renovating my 5-1011 42" side discharge mower deck...I have everything apart except for the spindle assemblies.  Currently, the spindle assemblies have been removed from the mower deck...so pullies, blades and blade holders have been removed from spindle assemblies...all that's left is the shaft and the bearing sitting in the housing...I have removed the c-clip off of the top of the bearing...how do I disassemble further so I can replaced the main bearing at the top?  I thought that once I slid out the shaft I could force out from the bottom hole but probably missing something...thanks...ron.

groundhog47

If I read correctly you have the spindle off deck, shaft out, and snap ring removed from bottom. If that is correct take something and stick inside and shift tube inside spindle housing slightly side ways where can get a suitable punching device either top or bottom (? seals top go from bottom) and press push or drive tube till bearing free. Take caution and don't over do, housing pricey. When first bearing is out reverse, pull out bearing tube and press drive out remainder (other bearing and or seal). I should have looked your model 1st to insure not a cast iron double d spindle, if is don't do what I said, cause I am unfamiliar on guts of cast iron spindles. Will check modle number and edit accordingly. Edited, afore mentioned not for cast iron spindle.  

Edited by groundhog47

ron.cieri.313

Thanks GH...my spindle assembly is off the deck but my shaft is not out of the spindle assembly...that's where I'm stuck...don't know if I should force the shaft out through the top or the bottom...it moves a couple inches freely up and down but not out...make sense?...maybe I'm just suppose to pound it out but wanted to ask before using too much force...thanks ron.

can whlvr

yes it should push out now,be careful taking out the bearing,do a little each side so as to not break the housing

Trouty56

I've only taken two types apart.....One type has a small rubber o-ring around the top...pretty simple.....the other kind (DD) I just pounded out the bottom...then there is a washer that will be inside the case that you will have to retrieve when the bearings/seal have been removed.  This is an important part that holds the spindle shaft while tightening the pulley nut.

ron.cieri.313

Thanks all...I pounded out the shaft through the needle bearing at the bottom using octagonal end of a medium-sized punch...then was able to punch out the bearing by using same punch only this time through the bottom up...then knocked out the needle bearing from the top down with a pefectly sized pipe...and she's all apart...new bearing are on their way and then paint and reassemble time:)