Sign in to follow this  
groundhog47

Ready for Flak, have to ask

groundhog47

My WH 42sd deck is giving me fits, saw on here where lawn mowers do better cause that's what they were built for, duh. Am considering a zero turn TORO 42" cut with 22 hp Kohler. Has any one her used one/own one. Reviews are + to almost minus. Have looked at others and components not as sturdy as would care, haven't gotten to the Toro yet. Price for construction is pretty even across brands with comparable sizes. 

The "TANKS" of course are built for non caring abuse and way more costly. I ain't guaranteed a next wakeup and would like to have one paid off before that final day. Don't get me wrong I love my one and only WH but the deck is pushing up daisys, and grass grows faster than parts ship. Opinions welcomed and appreciated!

CasualObserver

Gerry, You'll get no flak from me, I mow with a Gravely.  My advice would be to go check out your local dealers for quality equipment and see what used trade-in equipment they have available.  You'll likely end up with a better deal for nicer equipment than buying a new low-end mower, with more serviceable parts and pieces, and an actual dealer you can use as a resource.

groundhog47

That's kinda leaning what my son said, durability, option 2 Florien April 25 with gunny, thanks :)

Gerry, You'll get no flak from me, I mow with a Gravely.  My advice would be to go check out your local dealers for quality equipment and see what used trade-in equipment they have available.  You'll likely end up with a better deal for nicer equipment than buying a new low-end mower, with more serviceable parts and pieces, and an actual dealer you can use as a resource.

decksetter

I've been seeing fair number of used commercial machines pop up on craigslist around here lately, guys are upgrading before the heavy mowing starts for the year.  May or may not be the same way where you are.  I don't know how big your yard is, but you may even like a commercial walk behind.  My buddy got a 38" cut Deere walk behind last week and cuts his yard in half the time he could do it with his 48" lawn tractor.  Very maneuverable.

groundhog47

Only about 1/2 acre is all I mow, but slight upgrade back to front(~6' rise over 200'). The WH handles it well when belts aren't jumpin, but when I have to get out the push mower in the humidity/heat it does a number on me. That's how come I got the WH and deck back up after 13 yrs settin' "coma mower" had all main drive dead or dyin', it's all my fault too! 

I've been seeing fair number of used commercial machines pop up on craigslist around here lately, guys are upgrading before the heavy mowing starts for the year.  May or may not be the same way where you are.  I don't know how big your yard is, but you may even like a commercial walk behind.  My buddy got a 38" cut Deere walk behind last week and cuts his yard in half the time he could do it with his 48" lawn tractor.  Very maneuverable.

• Like 1

refracman

My brother has a 04 -05 Toro timesaver 48" mows a rough 1 1/2 acres with it with lots of trees.

He bought new and had to replace the carb on it because he left gas in it over the winter early on and ruined it.

He replaced it with a updated one for ethyol fuel and has run great since, with just normal maintainence.

rydogg

Toro time cutter and time saver are the smaller residential non commercial models the ones I have seen/sold seem cheap but you get what you pay for and if you only need it for a small yard they are a good mower I mow a few acres so I use the Toro Proline and if I was going to purchase a zero turn I would go with a ZMaster they have a very good kohler command v-twin and are well built with the consumer in mind when it comes to maintenance,  I can change all belts and spring tune up on my Proline in about a half hour without needing to get on my back since everything is accessible from the top side.  The 3 wheel z master I used to have had a 60 inch flip up deck that made cleaning, blade changes and storage very easy I never liked this mower due to the hyper sensitive controls but it mowed excellent and very fast.  I would purchase from a local dealer that has excellent service after the sale....I work for a Toro dealer so I purchase Toro only.

Proline 120

wheelhorse242.jpg

ZMaster

wheelhorse233.jpg

wheelhorse235.jpg

groundhog47

Thanks all you folks, haven't received my parts yet to put the 42"SD to final test, I do appreciate all the input and hope can get the WH back into mowin' work, but may have to go another route. I hate to think of givin' up, but may have to compromise some way!

baerpath

Keep looking at C list theres one of the Proline 120's listed for $500 by me Add says he's upgrading.  Nows the time pro guys are looking to upgrade

groundhog47

Thanks Duane, this is go, and grow time for certain!

rydogg

Keep looking at C list theres one of the Proline 120's listed for $500 by me Add says he's upgrading.  Nows the time pro guys are looking to upgrade

We try to pick them up for around that price than we do a full tune up and turn them loose for anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 depending on condition and hours, they sell so fast we have a waiting list for them.

baerpath

Jeez I should get a load together and send them your way, one with a 72 inch deck, snowblower and cab $800, my 718Z was $300 and needed a deck drive belt

groundhog47

Well, my parts came in so the WH is still my main mower. I'm to ashamed of the deck to post a picture, but it for now appears the two bushings under the deck idler bar were to badly worn which allowed the idler bar to tilt and through the belt. Mowed the yard once already, had a kevlar or material wrapped belt that was also replaced with plain belt, never jumped once. Before (new bushings and belt) jumped several times before final suicide.

Do any of you use the nylon bushings with steel washers or go nylon on nylon? It's not real evident where the steel washer wouldn't work but went with nylon to be safe.  

Don1977

My 48" deck is older that yours uses nylon blocks with a notch cut out for the idler bar that are no longer made. I had some scrap nylon that found measuring up an old cotton mill. Had a friend mill out the notch and drill the holes and was back in business. That was after I welded up the slide bar and ground and sanded it back down.  I had turned the blocks around as the bar only wears on one side in each block.

On the type you have I would saw out some square nylon blocks drill the hole in them and give it a try.  May have to round the two out side end as you don,t have as much travel at the type I have. How big or the slots in the idler bar, I was wondering if a small ball bearing would work.

The first Wheel Horse deck rollers lasted 20 to 25 years. The Toro plastic rollers I managed to bust at least one or two every year. Went through close to two full sets in 4 years. I have five home made dogwood rollers with brass bushings that have been on my deck for the last eight years and look as good as when they were put on. After turning them I soaked the in oil and put them on with new shafts. Might need new bushings and shafts in a few more years but i think the rollers will still be good.

groundhog47

Hey Don, that's a good idea. saw a bar cut out like that, thought it to be broken/worn. The brass bushing over wood sounds good as could prob rein in a better fit. The factory nylon still leaves a bit of side "wallow" that is worrysome, second mowin' will tell more whether will work or not, 1 belt and 6 bushings left. You're right my predominatently wore on one side on one and some yaho back in 70ies put the other in upside down, but it worked like that for years. Guess it made it easier to rotate, ha. Much thanks