Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Loader hydro fluids

Forest Road

I picked up a 522xi with a factory kiwi way loader last summer. I gave it a going over last weekend and found that I was low at least a quart out of a 4 qt total. Lets just say it seems to have a bit more oomph now.

I'm curious what everyone is using for hydro fluid in there loaders, log splitter and other equipment. It appears that motor oil was in mine. So I added 10w30. Spoke with kwik way today and they advise dexteon ATF. When i told him about the motor oil he said thatll work. unfortunately I couldn't find a spec anywhere in the manual last weekend.

On my to do list is a flushing of the system this summer. So please spill your oil info.

Thanks

Kevin

diesel cowboy

I personally use Case IH HY-TRAN fluid in everything unless it specifically calls for something else as thats what I have stocked at work.  It gets expensive quick if I need mor than a couple quarts but its worth it.  It was designed for all the big Farmall's with the hydro trans and all their older tractors with the hydraulic systems.  It holds about 20% of its volume worth of water without letting it seperate out so to me thats worth the extra cost as most of my stuff has to sit under lean tos and tarps.  If I get something at work thats not a Farmall or Cub Cadet and it needs hydraulic oil I go to the local parts store and get a decent grade of plain hydraulic oil if the customer doesnt want to spend the extra money.                          Stewart

JamesBe1

I use motor oil in my Ark loader. 

I hear a lot about how hydraulic fluid is better as it will hold any water instead of letting it attack the metals in your system.  I have been toying with the idea of switching over from oil to hydraulic fluid, but it is very low on my priority list.

Challenger

Forest,

How do you check the fluid level in your loader?  What method, tool, etc. did you use?

Forest Road

Kwik way loaders reservoirs are built into the left upright. There is a small screw 6" - 12" down facing the driver seat.

As I recall from the owners manual. With all four pistons fully retracted and pto off remove that screw. If oil comes out you have enough or a bit too much. If not add oil until it comes out of that hole and quickly replace screw.

PS I contacted kwik way in an attempt to purchase a manual. They were kind enough to just send me one.

cheesegrader

I use hydro fluid.

Previous owner added a filter on the return side, so I expect debris and moisture to get picked up.

Kwik-Way doesn't put filters on their loaders, but they were nice enough to answer my questions about this one.

The location is directly under the belly of the tractor.

It has a nicely fabricated shield (good thing, it has a couple of nasty dents that could have knocked off the filter)

Unless I bang it up and cause leak problems, I plan to leave it.

pfrederi

I have an Arc Loader and i use motor oil per its manual.  I agree that hydro fluid would be fine also.  More importantly I think plumbing in a filter is an excellent idea. It is a little hard to see in this picture( click to enlarge and look for the ugly orange Fram filter) but it is plumbed between the Control valve return port and the reservoir.  There is little pressure on this return line so regular pipe fittings are usable.  I got the filter base years ago from Northern Tool for a different project. 

d5fe9f247125974.jpg