Sign in to follow this  
csnyd

Roto-Hoe Tiller Questions

csnyd

I just inherited an old Roto-Hoe tiller from my FIL.  Made by a company in Ohio.  This thing is built like a tank, but hasn't been used in years as the H35 Tecumseh is a hard starting outfit and he small bed gardens now days.   

His quote, "IF you can get it to run, it is a real machine." 

So, this H35 Tecumseh engine, what is the normal stuff that needs done to them to get them running right? 

Thanks.

6wheeler

Clean the carb. New plug. Change oil. Once it starts, re-adjust the air fuel mixture and high speed screw. Should be good to go. Oh yeah, check and either clean or replace air filter if needed.  Happy tilling. Enjoy those POPEYE arms you are gonna get :laughing-rolling:  :laughing-rolling:  :laughing-rolling:

csnyd

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm betting that I will need my can of spinach to work this pig.  It looks like a mans tiller.  I was at Menards last week and actually did stumble across an air filter for this thing.  They must have been used on a lot of tillers. 

Appreciate the advice.  Thanks.

rydogg

I have had 2 of them and they are heavy well built machines with 3 or 4 speed with reverse transmission, I had a snowthrower attachment for one of mine that was repowered with a kohler k141 with a starter generator so it was electric start i've got pictures of the beast but they are in one of my crashed computers that I need to get pictures pulled from.  I had to chase mine a few times when I was trying to till well packed dirt.  Mine were both 990 models.  If you can't get the H35 running you can always repower it.

craigslist440.jpg

craigslist441.jpg

csnyd

Rydog, that thing looks mean. Im thinking about a Honda repower and a rebuild of the tech.

Wheel-N-It

I found one about two weeks ago. The lady said her husband bought it about five years ago when they moved in the house they now live in. He used it to do some tilling for a flower bed, then parked it. It looks great, not at all hurt. I'll be back that way in about a month or so. I'm going to ask her if I can talk to her husband about buying it. I don't need it but I hate to see it sit and go bad. It has a Tecky motor with pull start.

csnyd

Well, I went and ordered a replacement carb ($35) and picked up some gasket material for some replacements that probably need done. I'm going to throw a new plug and air filter in for fun, go through the fluids, lube everything up, cross my fingers and pull the cord. With any luck I can get the second garden tilled up. I'll put some pics on of it when I get it back together. It doesn't looks as tuff as the pics above, but it outweighs anything sitting down at the TSC or Menards.

Might have some questions about how to set the carb but I'm pretty sure I can figure it out.

csnyd

Well, after all the above-mentioned maintenance, I gassed up the H35, rolled it out of the garage, and fired it up on the first pull.  Adjusted the carb, and tilled the garden.  This tiller is a bad boy and can break sod pretty easy if you let it work and take your time.  You make the mistake I did and try to throw this thing around and you will need a good supply of Aleve.  :violin:   I'm not as good as I once was...

csnyd

Well, the big Hoe is back in the garage :roll:...I can use it but it seems to bog down under load.  Normally I would think this was some kind of pluggage in the carb but the thing doesn't have an hour on it and I installed a pretty sweet fuel filter off the tank.  I have no idea how to set this carb but it is an Oregon replacement carb for the H35 Tech.  Anyone ever messed with one of these?  I see three adjustment screws and have no idea about what any do other than the idle adjustment.  That I figured out trying to keep it running.  What is the one under the bowl called and what does it do?  Then there is another one closer to the block than the idle screw. 

I can till with it for a while but eventually it will bog down under load and quit on me.  Frustrating machine.  Any input appreciated.

csnyd

Well, I messed with it and messed with it and finally have got it going to where it runs pretty darn good.  Now if we could just get some good weather and my sweet corn would start growing better...Here is a pic of the roto-hoe.  It does a pretty good job and was fun to get going.

2013-05-29165216_zps1d9626c2.jpg

rydogg

The one in the bottom of the float bowl is your high speed jet you will need to get the engine running with the throttle at high speed you will turn it out until it starts to sputter and than turn it in until it smooths out and since it's a Tecumseh you may need to do this every now and then.  Nice machine you got there....I learned pretty quick with mine that you just take your time and let the machine do the work or it will work you.