Sign in to follow this  
Rueb

Leak from Model 1277 transmission

Rueb

Hi, I am new here and have a question from my Father.  He has a 1966, Model 1277 that has developed a transmission leak.  This was my Grandfathers tractor and my Dad has owned it since.  His question is that would it be possible to use a transmission stop leak product or would this create more of a problem?  Thanks for your help.  Ron

stevasaurus

Good question.  That is a Sundstrand transmission.  Personally, I would go after the leak.  A lot of questions need to be asked here...1. where is it leaking...2. how long has it been sitting...3. did it start leaking after doing something...you get the idea.  Help us out with some information before we stick our necks out and say a sealer may work..  If it has been sitting for a long time...some seals could seal themselves after use.

Welcome to Red Square fellow Illini. :)

pfrederi

Problem with sealers they do not differentiate between go and bad holes.  They might seal the leak but at the same time they may plug up the tiny little holes in the acceleration valves....

Wipe it off then run it and see where it is leaking from

• Like 1

Rueb

Thanks guys.  I found the leak around the trans select shaft.  So I took it apart and need the two "o" rings, part number 6829 and part 970141 (or 972116).  Can anyone point me in the direction to where I might be able to find these?  Again it ia a model 1277 with a 5054 transmission.  Thanks for all the help.  ron

stevasaurus

Did you try a Toro Dealer...they still provide many parts.  I know nothing about Sundstrand Trannys, but you may be able to match up "O-Rings" at Ace, Tractor Supply...etc.  I know that toro may not have the parts, but they may be able to give you the correct size of the rings.  Do you have a copy of the manual??  BTW...your trans is Sundstrand # 3100077...not a 5054 :)

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Transmissions/Transmission_Sundstrand_Hydrogear_Piston-Piston_1965-1982.pdf

Edited by stevasaurus

sorekiwi

Most of this recent thread would apply to you: 

• Like 1

Rueb

Thanks guys for all the help.  The leak is repaired good as new.  See my post in the for sale section.  Dad asked me to see if I could sell it for him.  I have no Idea what it is worth.. Again any help is appreciated. 

• Like 1