Sign in to follow this  
Neuseman

First Wheelhorse

Neuseman

This is my first time posting here.I found a 1960 Wheelhorse 400 tractor for sale that the ad says is an older restoration. Has the 4 horse kohler in it. It has no deck. He is asking 500dollars. I am looking for a tractor to help me take care of my garden. I had back surgery 2 years ago and cant use a walk behind tiller. Can I use this tractor to plough and till my garden, about 3000 square feet or should I look for something bigger. When I saw this tractor I wanted it right then but thought I would ask here before I bought it. I have seen pictures of this tractor and it looks really nice.

Sparky

:WRS:

For a 3000sq/ft garden I would recommend you get a bigger and newer machine. If your determined to use an older machine I would look for a "C" series machine from the 70's. Plenty of attachments readily available for them such as tillers and plows.

Mike............

Neuseman

Thanks for your reply Mike. How would this tractor do with one of those pull behind tillers that has it own engine like the one from Northern tool?  Is this tractor one that is hard to find in good condition?  How much is a tractor like this worth in really good condition?

Agage1

I agree you should look into a larger tractor like a c series. I use my c 160 s and 1054 to plow and till my garden which is pretty large. In my experience with working with my garden weight is the biggest factor. My less powerful but heavily weighted 1054 outperforms my c160 in the garden when pulling plows and such. The 400 would be too light to pull a tiller in my thick soil it would lose traction real quick

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Glad you found us.

Neuseman

Thanks for your help. I am looking for another tractor now and they are hard to find where I live. John deere seems more plentiful where I am. Any thoughts?

Sparky

Start cruising Craiglist, e-bay and of course the forums here on Redsquare.

Good luck!

Mike.......

can whlvr

welcome,if it were me id look for a wheelhorse,one will pop up for you

Neuseman

Looking at a b165 now. Ad says 16 hp twin motor runs good. Cuts off when deck is engaged. Need battery and front tire. Asking 175.00

Wheel-N-It

Sounds like you have just taken an interest in garden tractors. The B165 is not a garden tractor, so don't even think about it any more. You are at a good place (here) to learn. Alot of these guys have been serious about old iron for many years. Dinner is ready, so I'm going to make this short. For tilling and plowing get yourself a horizontal crankshaft, Kohler powered, manual transmissioned (with low range or creeper gear) garden tractor from 1970's on through the 90's. If you want a tiller, then get one designed from the factory for the tractor. If you are not looking for a particular brand, then besides Wheel Horse there is also JD and Cub Cadet. They are good choices too.

Trust me, if you are serious, then you will stay here and learn all you can as there IS alot to be learned. Make this site part of your regular GT reading even if you do not end up buying a Wheel Horse. There is something here (at RS) to be learned almost every single day.

Neuseman

Ok thanks, I found a 518h. It has 18 hp onan early 80's model. Runs good. Deck needs work. Will this be better for tilling and garden work?

Jake Kuhn

518 is better than what you have been picking out but I have heard bad about the tranny's in the 518's. Have to let some people who own a 518 give you their opinion on one.

Wheel-N-It

I would like to say yes but the 518 has the Eaton 700 transmission which is not as strong as the Eaton 1100 that comes in the WH 520. Actually the factory warned not to use a 518 with any ground engaging impliments. It is basically a mowing and small trailer pulling tractor. However it does a great job for what it is designed to do, and I would love to have one for mowing duty. Back to my earlier post, purchase a gear driven tractor with a low range.  The low range or creeper gear will let you run a tiller without having to constantly work the clutch.

You did better, but not there just yet. Keep looking, and we're happy to help you spend your money. Don't forget to send pics! :popcorn:

Neuseman

Ok, thanks. I will keep looking.

Agage1

I do a ton of tilling and you can't beat a manual with a creeper gear. You have much more control of the tractor while tilling.

Neuseman

What model should I be looking for to do the tilling and garden work? Thanks again!

Sparky

Something with a hi/low range transmission. In the 70's it would be a C-100, C-120, C-160. In the later 70's the same machines were called C-101, C121, C141 and c-161. In the early 80's you had the C-105, C-125, C-145 and C-165. Then along came the final series, the 300 and 400 series. There was also one 500 series with a manual tranny but they are somewhat rare.

There were also smaller hp machines with 8hp but I would go for a higher hp for what you want to accomplish.

Mike...............

brandonozz

I started with a C 120 and didn't have a tiller for it for over a year.  I had been using a Craftsman pull behind tiller with a ATV before I bought my horse.  When I got my WH I used the 8 hp Craftsman and it did work much better than the ATV as the 8 speed transmission would control the "push" of the tiller - the tiller rotated forward and I was constantly on the brakes with the ATV.  While that does work it is not very user friendly in tighter spaces as it is tough /almost impossible to back up as the tiller articulates and you will have to reach way back to the tiller itself to stop the tines from rotating. 

Found the tiller for my horse and it is MUCH better.  Start and stop the tines rotation with ease and till up against fences obsticles without problems.  That's my experience - in the long run I think you will be much happier to get a tractor/tiller made for each other as mentioned previously.

puddlejumper

I know you said tou had back surgery and couldnt use a walk behind tiller...But Have you ever been around a older troybuilt horse, If you can stand up and follow it, it will do the work.I am not trying to talk you out of a tractor but its awfull hard to beat manueverability and ease of use. And if your like me its actually easier on your back.

Neuseman

I will have to admit I have never had a walk behind tiller. When I saw these tractors I instantly knew this is what I needed to help me in my garden. I do not want a full size tractor. There are several john deere tractors like the 110,111,200,210, that are all within 100 miles of me that have pretty good prices on them. Might get one of those for now and try to find a tiller that will work on it. The 1960 400 wheelhorse I found I think I will buy it to use around the yard and cruise the neighborhood. It is a nice tractor.

kaiser

be carefull with the smaller deeres, if they are newer. the newer 100 series are junk (i hope i dont offend anyone)

when i was surfing craigs list the most common wheel horses were 310-8's and those would work well for your needs, sure a twin would be even better.

also keep an eye out for work horse's, they are real wheel horses but gray and briggs powered. sometimes you can get them cheaper then the red tractors.

any one of the work horses would be good as well as any 300-400 series from the 80's - 90's. can't go wrong with a c series too.

you may need to travel a few hundred miles, but trust me it will be worth it.

just my .02 from my recent search and research.

boovuc

My 2 cents on this.... 

I know a few people who have had back surgeries and I've had two of them. A rear tine walk behind tiller is pretty easy to move around and operate verses a front tine tiller. Many come with electric start and there are many used ones available.

If you use a wheelhorse with a tiller attachment, you will most likely want the tiller on the tractor 24-7, 365 days a year because they are extremely heavy. Though Wheelhorse attachments are, in my humble opinion, the easiest attachments to take off and put on, you still need mobility and some "oomf" to position them, hook them up and move and store them. This is OK if all you want is a tractor to till with but if you also wanted to mow with the same tractor, you would be doing your back more problems by getting a horse with a tiller and mower. (You can't have both on).

I have been lucky in that I have mobility and can still heft these things around after one disk fusion and one disk removal 10 years apart. (Tall and skinny and too dumb and proud to get help over my 56 years).

I want a front end loader someday to aid my back breaking chores. I have a tiller but I also have 5 WH tractors. (One with a blower on it year round. They are heavier than the tillers).

Ask around and find a friend with a rear-tine tiller and ask him to let you move it around and work it before you invest in a WH. If that works out, get a horse to mow with and join us here.

Good Luck to You!