Sign in to follow this  
wheeledhorseman

316 Safety Decals - you gotta laugh (surely)

wheeledhorseman

I've been taking photos of the decals on my 316 working towards Mark (Meadowfield) putting a set together for me. I don't think I'll be putting the safety ones back on the tractor but photographed them anyway.

Before reading through the main decal bear in mind this was back in 1989! I dread to think how the list might have grown in recent years (particularly in California!) :hide:

post-4509-0-42917700-1363466057_thumb.jp

Perhaps a simple "STUPID PEOPLE SHOULD NOT SIT ON THIS MACHINE LET ALONE OPERATE IT' would have provided a more concise and effective warning together with a dealership policy of not selling them to morons.

I'm not sure I wholly agree with the statement that: "THIS IS NOT A TOY". Sure they're fully functional but based on that alone Garden Tractors by all manufacturers would have been way less popular if they weren't designed to look like a small tractor. They're big boy's toys of course and that's what sells them in the first place and makes them collectable.

The safety briefing continues with a second decal located on the fender behind the gear shift. Located where it is makes it pretty much impossible to refer to while sitting on the tractor - but it's there, and that I guess is all that mattered. At least they had the good sense to apply it 'upside down' so that it was, in theory at least, possible to read should you have the flexibility to put your head between your legs and the steering wheel to do so.

post-4509-0-89355100-1363466553_thumb.jp

PO clearly disgreed with the first and sprayed over it - out of sight out of mind! :angry-nono:

I assume its don't mow on a sideways tilt of more than 5 degrees. I suppose being a Euro model it could have been don't bother mowing if the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees C (as grass doesn't grow at this temperature)?

Angles of dangle, be they uphill, downhill or whatever are fine and dandy but did you ever see a clinometer gage either as stock or option on a WH? :confusion-confused:

Has anyone posted a here's how to make a clinometer for your horse? - Thought not. :roll:

Seriously though, you can obviously seriously injure yourself or others while using a :wh: but whatever happened to common sense and having to take some resposibility for your actions and the safety of others?

Obviously manufacturers these days go out of their way to cover their backsides but these decals were produced in 1989! Going back to the first decal, if a manufacturer felt it was important enough to draw attention to not leaving the key in the tractor, then why did they continue with a one key fits all, and largely cross-make, feature?

Interested in any opinions out there.

Andy

Stormin

For key, read screwdriver?  Common sense? That left the country years ago. Taking resposibility? No way. Always someone elses fault.

Anglo Traction

Same principle applies to Hammers. Noone should be allowed to use or own any type of Hammer unless they have passed an IQ & Practical Application Test.

It seems that you no longer have to be responsible for your own actions or incompetance, as there are Claims companys out there to try and get the idiots plenty of compensation.

As for the 'Warning Stickers' on our Tractors, I put 'em back on as per for the sake of correctness on a rebuild.

Stigian

Same principle applies to Hammers. Noone should be allowed to use or own any type of Hammer unless they have passed an IQ & Practical Application Test.

A hammer I bought years ago had a sticker on it saying something like this...     "Do not use unless you are wearing gloves, goggles, ear defenders, hard hat, bullet proof vest/full old fashioned diving suit etc....   Remote operation from a nuclear bunker would be best!!

Something like that anyway   :D

chazm

Sounds like you can find stupid people & scammers all over the world, not just here in the USA   :eusa-think: ,

Al tho,  It just seems we have an overabundant supply of them   :no:

chas   :flags-usa:

meadowfield

Given I have two kohlers with severely distorted cowls around the starter, I created this new decal for those incapable of simple maintenance....

alternator.jpg

:D

Zeek

:laughing-rolling:   I think the only thing the general population is capable of using nowadays without a warning is noodles.  However, I suppose you can choke on them  . . . . :scratchead:  . . . oh geez, never mind . . .