Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Cleaning up wheels to paint

bo dawg

I have painted a couple sets of wheels before that had some share of minor surface rust by hand sanding. But is there an easier way less time consuming? I have a set I want to paint but :whistle: alot of rust, but still good and solid though. B)

How do you guy's usually do this?

Thanks B)

CasualObserver

I use wire brushes in an angle grinder. Both a wheel and a cup brush. B) You can also do pretty well with one of the cheap gravity feed sandblasters.

linen beige

There are a LOT of options. Wire wheels on a drill, electrolysis, chemical rust removers, etc. But my favorite is bead blasting. If you just need one set of wheels done and don't foresee doing much more, then talk to a local sandblasting company. But if you picture yourself working on these fine machines regularly an investment in some blasting equipment is a no-brainer. I have a small blasting cabinet and a free standing sandblaster. I intend to build a larger cabinet in the near future.

Kelly

I sand blast mine, even the nice looking ones they come out looking like new, I've been using a $79 harbor freight 80# blaster for 10 years or so, replace the tips often and a fair sized compressor.

bo dawg

Thanks for the feed back guys, I kinda figured that sandbasting might be the way to go. Yeah I plan on doing more with the tractors where buying a SB would pay off. Just not able to aford it right now, too much house remodeling and repairs to do and not enough greenbacks. B)

So I will go the cheaper way and wire wheel it...that is after I buy one of them cheap grinders. :whistle:

I cant wait to start redoing the charger 12 and make her shine again.

I've never done anything of that level, but after seeing the pic's and reading all you guy's previous threads on fixing up and painting your tractors, I'm fired up and ready to do it. I want to be able to start buying some extra tractors and parts and mess around. But if I can just keep up with the two I have then I'll be blessed.

Thanks B)

bo dawg

Hey Jim, I forgot to mention, I was real close to Lexington yesterday traveling on business spent all day in the Bluegrass state almost. It turned out great after the rain and clouds rolled away. B) I kept my eyes open for red colors but didn't see any. B) Is there many red horses in your area? outside of yours :whistle:

B)

DMESS

Bead blast the whole kit and kaboodle. Tires even look new after a trip through the cabinet. Break the bead and hold the tires away from the lip with some wooden sticks so you can clean the bead real well. We always tubed them anyway so a little loose blast medium that didn't shake out wasn't a big concern. Now mind you this was the approach we used for late 50's early 60's combo's that we didn't want to chance demounting and damaging hard to replace original style tires. Something newer or something youre putting new rubber on, demount the rubber and blast away. Can't beat blasting them and it is much quicker than scratching away with wire wheels, sanding discs/paper etc.

bo dawg

I agree Dustin, I will keep my eye open for one, maybe a old used one. B)

:whistle:

CasualObserver

you can pick up one of the gravity blaster guns from a hardware store for about $10-15 and just stick the suction tube in a 5 gallon bucket of blast media. It's the cabinet and air compressor that are going to get your money. I bought a 30 gallon that does just fine, and use a bucket and cheap gun and blast outdoors. Most of the time I find the wire wheels are faster though.

linen beige

Hey Jim, I forgot to mention, I was real close to Lexington yesterday traveling on business spent all day in the Bluegrass state almost. It turned out great after the rain and clouds rolled away. B) I kept my eyes open for red colors but didn't see any. B) Is there many red horses in your area? outside of yours B)

B)

I had the feeling I was being hunted yesterday. :whistle: Shoulda stopped by.

As for there being many 'Horses around here, I can't seem to find any. However, Duramaxdavid and 4starcustoms both live fairly close. David says he found an older guy with a bunch in our area. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

T-Mo

Jim,

As you know Eldon was also in your area yesterday - and he had a covered truck and an enclosed trailer. Have you checked your herd this morning? B)

linen beige

THAT'S why I couldn't sleep last night! But it looks like all those round hoods saved 'em.

bo dawg

Now Jason that don't sound too bad, I already have a couple air compressors, I'll have to look into that. :whistle:

Jim... I only seen a few that were out of Louisville. But hey... I 'll keep my eyes open for the both of us. B)

B)