Sign in to follow this  
zeedubbya

Rastlin' a 60 inch deck

zeedubbya

Anybody have any advice on a good method for mounting/unmounting a 60 inch deck on a 520? I got it off and about herniated myself in the process so I would like to know a suggestion for making the quick in "quick attach" a little quicker and less painful for mowing season. I wouldn't have taken it off but it needs some TLC and I'm going to be plowing with my new clevis hitch and one bottom soon. Thanks!

Sparky

I would like to know a suggestion for making the quick in "quick attach" a little quicker and less painful for mowing season.

Get a second tractor for the land plow and leave the 60" deck on the 520...... :ychain:  .

Just kiddin, never owned a 60" deck but I thought you could drive over them to get it under the tractor.

Mike..........

cheesegrader

I have a piece of cardboard that I drive over.

The wheels of the deck will slide much easier on the garage floor with the cardboard underneath.

I've heard of people that use plastic or plexiglass as well.

Pulling with a nylon tow strap threaded through one of the front wheels helps, too.

I have a bunch of 4x4 and 2x6 blocks that help position the shell while getting it free of the hydro lift,

and find that a couple of short 2x4's to use as pry bars under the shell also help.

I have not had to resort to jacking up the front end,

But I have considered driving up on ramps to make a little more space.

leeave96

I feel your pain - just don't have a 60 inch deck.  I've got IH Cub Cadets and an old Simplicity Sovereign with 48 inch deck and NONE of those decks are as heavy as the Wheelhorse decks!  OTOH, it seems like the Wheelhorse decks, inspite their crazy weight, are more prone to rust than the others.

I have thought about making a "low-boy" type crawler like you'd use to scoot under your car on your back.  The idea is to make it short enough to fit under the deck, let the deck down on it and roll it out - or back under.

Good luck,

Bill

Butch

I had read on here awhile ago that a member says he drives over his deck to mount it.

MalMac

Yep I drive up and over. Just put some wood down to help the front end get up on it. Wrestled that beast one time said that's enough. You are not going to hurt that deck.

Shuboxlover

I drive over mine....MUCH easier than trying to drag it out!!!!!!!!!

AMC RULES

Sounds like it would be fun to watch the process.   :popcorn:  

Tankman

Never had a 60" deck but, would like one for my '90 520-8. Or, maybe not. :smile:

My decks usually stay on except for maintenance.

Driving over the deck sounds like the new Deere commercials. I wouldn't drive on any deck unless it was designed to do so.

Rick_in_CT

Gentlemen, this is so timely.  I have a 5xi with a 48 and 52" deck.  This past fall I found a NOS 60" deck that was still in the box.  Wow, there is no comparison in moving the 48 or 52 inch decks compared to the 60 inch.  The weight difference is big.  I have not mounted the 60" yet, but will be in the spring, and I'm going to try the drive over method mentioned above.  I added a chain hoist in the garage this past winter just for being able to get to the underside of the 60" deck without getting hurt flipping it over.  I sure hope it cuts good. 

Rick

cheesegrader

Driving over the deck just doesn't seem to help that much.

It likes to scoot forward, even if it is blocked, and it tends to twist as the front wheels roll over the front edge of the deck.

You still have to make all the little adjustments to get it hooked up to the tach-o-matic and the lift arm.

Moving that 300lb deck an inch to the left, or 2 inches right is the real pain, especially in such a tight space.

Blocks, pry boards and something slick under the deck rollers will get the job done for me in ablut two minutes.

stevebo

I have driven over mine and also used the terramite fel to pick up the front of the 520 then slid the deck under. I agree you have to block the deck from sliding when on the driveway or garage floor somehow first when driving over it.

varosd

Sounds like it would be fun to watch the process.   :popcorn:  

Craig is right!  Someone must have videotaped this and what a instructional benefit it would be to post and save it.

• Like 1

Shuboxlover

Driving over the deck just doesn't seem to help that much.

It likes to scoot forward, even if it is blocked, and it tends to twist as the front wheels roll over the front edge of the deck.

You still have to make all the little adjustments to get it hooked up to the tach-o-matic and the lift arm.

Moving that 300lb deck an inch to the left, or 2 inches right is the real pain, especially in such a tight space.

Blocks, pry boards and something slick under the deck rollers will get the job done for me in ablut two minutes.

I made little ramps out of wood that I put to the rear of the deck to make the transition from the concrete to the deck shelf more gradual, then blocked the front so it wouldn't move, once you get it down how to do it, it's really not that bad.

MalMac

Shuboxlove is right on making small wooden ramps. Once you get it down it becomes easy. Once I am over mine I just use a small prybar as leverage to nudge one way or the other. Just make sure you attachment lift is up before driving over.