Sign in to follow this  
jeremi3210

953 ross stearing gear parts

jeremi3210

Hello i need to rebuild my steering gear in my 953. I took it apart today and found that the bearings on top and bottom of the spool are bad the cages are gone. Does anybody know where to get parts for these? Thanks.

sorekiwi

I could be wrong but I have an idea that some of the Cub Cadets used the same (or similar) steering box?  Hopefully someone who knows more than I will chime in.

Kelly

There is a guy on ebay that sells rebuild kits, for Cubs and Deeres should be the same parts but check to be sure.

"D"- Man

I have purchased the cam follower and ball-bearings (only) from a fellow on ebay user name timarca. This man machines the came follower himself and offers it with ball-bearings reasonable, I ordered for an 18 auto. Check the thread size and diameter of your cam follower and match to the one in his listings you will get the correct size ball-bearings. If your nylon spacers are just stretched you may be able to get by with laying each one flat and placing a round object snug over top of the "finger" side and then a heavy weight on it overnight and see if this will "tighten" the gaps enough to hold the bearings in. (This is assuming that the nylon spacers are not cracked or broken.) Mark.

coldone

Here is the write up I did on my Ross rebuild for a snapper 1450. I think the total was around $50. The rebuild kits on ebay are a rip off.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/10576-snappermf-1650-ross-steering-rebuild-help/

Timarca is great to deal with, I ordered the wrong cam follower and he swapped it out. All I had to do was pay the return shipping.

JackC

Search ebay for "ross steering" and checkout the items for sale from gll6666.

Or search for "Wheel Horse-Garden Tractor-Pulling Steering Rebuild Kit"

(Also fits Graverly , Ariens, & New Holland W/ Ross Col.)

Shuboxlover

I think Tom in Topeka (a.k.a. wh79d160) has rebuilt one before and got the stuff at the Deere dealer...If he sees this he may chime in...