Sign in to follow this  
raider10-8

mower deck

raider10-8

hey guys when i bought my raider 10 it came with a mower deck. the deck is not rotted through at all anywhere but everything is rusted and is not gonna move. i was just wondering how hard this would be to restore. 

post-9525-0-92266500-1362518041.jpeg

post-9525-0-36697700-1362518047.jpeg

post-9525-0-90812100-1362518053.jpeg

post-9525-0-51087700-1362518059.jpeg

Kevbo

I have about six decks right now that I am in the process of restoring so I'll weigh in here for a minute. By the looks of your pictures I do not see any major holes! Looks to be mostly surface rust. Depending on how bad the rust pitting is on the pulleys, they may need to be replaced...Do the spindles move? If they are seized than that is another issue to deal with. Try mixing some aceotone and ATF fluid at a 50%/50% ratio and start spraying your nuts and moving parts to let that sink in. Many of the bolts are carriage bolts which make it rather easy to remove components. Your one wheel looks a little bent but the overall deck doesn't look toooo bad. You may need a breaker bar but it doesn't look to hard to get those components off!

Keep us updated, and we will help you on your way! If you are interested in paint recommendations many use http://www.por15.com/ for the underside after sandblasting. If sandblasting isn't your thing then I would invest in a wire wheel hand grinder/orbital sander/electric drill wire wheel attachments to clean up that metal.

I'll keep watching this post if you have any questions. Restoring decks is kinda my thing at the moment :handgestures-thumbupright:

rexman72

all i did was sand prime  and paint and it looks new

raider10-8

ok thanks for the help. im prob not goin to be on this tread for a little while because i still have my trans and tractor ripped appart. so to need a working deck i need a working tractor :)