Sign in to follow this  
Michcruiser60

Want to say hello.

Michcruiser60

Hello,

Just ran across you all tonight and I'm always interested in Wheel Horse info and other people that are too. And if I can be any help I'll try there also. I'm no expert by no means!!

My tractors are a 1961 Suburban 401 4hp Kolher. It's the one that started this mess I'm in. :D

I've got a 1963 / 953 that has turned into my favorite over all.

Then I've got a 1965 / 655 I'm going to try and build and learn to pull with next year.

I've got a non Wheel Horse that's been a lot of fun. It's a Roths Country Boy, I think it was built around 1948-56. I'm going to guess that it might be a 1956. The S/N starts with 56- _ _ _ _ _ .

refracman

Mich, wecome, more the merrier, sounds like a nice herd ya have there

Steve

T-Mo

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you got an interesting collection going on, with the Suburban and a 953. And.... :D

Michcruiser60

Okay, here's a few pic's of the herd plus one. Click on picture to enlarge.

th_953nflowers012.jpg th_953nflowers011.jpg th_953nflowers009.jpg

th_mytractors008.jpg th_mytractors004.jpg th_953anderett005.jpg

My next project is to try and build a puller. This will be a learning experience for me.

th_10-08-07trip005.jpg

Jim_M

I only have one word. NICE!

nylyon

I recall seeing the 953 on MTF, it is one of my favorites. There is just an elegance about that tractor, especially pulling a trailer full. Great looking group, and glad you're here!

T-Mo

Great looking herd. I see that there will be some tough decisions to make when the 2009 calendar comes under construction. :D

Nick

Nice tractors. That 953 could get some work done I bet, looks like maybe some inside wheel weights on the back and weights out front to. And the 953 is not light to start with!

Rollerman

I agree with everyone here about the 953...thats a tuff looking tractor & the have nice lines.

Your 401 is very clean too!

Did you have these at the Riverview Garden Tractor show last summer?

I seen you flipped the axle on your puller to get the frontend down.

Makes it look pretty racy, hope my boy don't see that one.

Whats the other model you have pictured there.

Welcome to the site & thanks for the pics.

Stephen in northern IN

Michcruiser60

Thanks, they all have been fun to work on. Yeah, I've been over at MTF for sometime. Heard about this site and wanted to join up. Always nice to meet new Wheel Horse people.

I'm re-doing my Suburban this spring. I now have the right fenders and front wheels. That one is to go back stock with all the factory parts. I have the deck for it also.

I had my 953 weighted once at a pull. It weight in at 865 lbs. Not to bad. The rear weights came with the tractor when I got it. Guess I'm lucky sometimes. The front weights came from my dads old Sears tiller. I welded a bracket to mount them onto. I had a little problem in the snow with the front sliding. Now that's all gone with the added weights up there. Each one is 22 lbs. The last really neat thing about my 953 is that the serial number is very small. S/N 62-461. It also has the early steering box. And a two post steering wheel I've not seen on any other Wheel Horse, but I belive it's right.

I know this is a Wheel Horse only site, but I did add one with my old Roth Country Boy. It was built here in Michigan in a little town called Alma. With it being a local built tractor there's not much info and I don't get to show it off on the web to much. I'd like to find a nice orphen tractor site for it. Roths used whatever they could find to build these guys, tractor or auto parts. It looks to have a steering box from a car and the three speed tranny is too. The engine rocks over to loosen the drive belts and a rod comes down on top of the belts to stop it. Roths were know to build two wheeled tractors too and a much smaller tractor then mine called Little Jeff.

I added two more pic's. At 45yrs. old my 953 still gets the job done. :D

kj4kicks

Hi Mich, Welcome !!

Great looking herd there! Hope to see them in person someday!

Eldon.

Curmudgeon

Michcruiser60. On that odd duck you have, think about joining the Houghton Lake Garden Tractor Club at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/paulstractorpage/

You'll find a bunch of good guys, mostly in the local neighborhood who own all manner of garden tractors and other stuff.

Dale, in Michigan

Michcruiser60

Thanks thirdroc17, I'll give them a try. Who knows I could get lucky. :D

Mich60

MaineDad

Nice to have you here Mich - Man that 953 is sweet!

CHARGER9AUTO

Thanks, they all have been fun to work on. Yeah, I've been over at MTF for sometime. Heard about this site and wanted to join up. Always nice to meet new Wheel Horse people.

I'm re-doing my Suburban this spring. I now have the right fenders and front wheels. That one is to go back stock with all the factory parts. I have the deck for it also.

I had my 953 weighted once at a pull. It weight in at 865 lbs. Not to bad. The rear weights came with the tractor when I got it. Guess I'm lucky sometimes. The front weights came from my dads old Sears tiller. I welded a bracket to mount them onto. I had a little problem in the snow with the front sliding. Now that's all gone with the added weights up there. Each one is 22 lbs. The last really neat thing about my 953 is that the serial number is very small. S/N 62-461. It also has the early steering box. And a two post steering wheel I've not seen on any other Wheel Horse, but I belive it's right.

I know this is a Wheel Horse only site, but I did add one with my old Roth Country Boy. It was built here in Michigan in a little town called Alma. With it being a local built tractor there's not much info and I don't get to show it off on the web to much. I'd like to find a nice orphen tractor site for it. Roths used whatever they could find to build these guys, tractor or auto parts. It looks to have a steering box from a car and the three speed tranny is too. The engine rocks over to loosen the drive belts and a rod comes down on top of the belts to stop it. Roths were know to build two wheeled tractors too and a much smaller tractor then mine called Little Jeff.

I added two more pic's. At 45yrs. old my 953 still gets the job done. :D

Mich, I have a 1963 Wheel Horse 953 I picked up this summer in Stafford , CT I think they look neat with the Cast Iron front nose and head lamps :P Ben

CasualObserver

welcome.gif

I do have to say... I used to think those 953/1054 models were the ugliest ones, but I have to say... they're growing on me! Yours really looks sharp! I especially like those little front weights you have there.

Oh, and have you checked with the VGTCOA about your Roth?

Curmudgeon

Thanks thirdroc17, I'll give them a try. Who knows I could get lucky. :D

Mich60

If nuttin' else you'll find me there.

Now whether that's a good thing or is up for debate..........

Dale

Juggler

That is a nice lookin' 953! I especially like those wheel weight lug bolts! :thumbs:

glenn27

Hello also Mich--nice collection you have.. :thumbs:

69DEZ

:thumbs: VERY NICE TRACTORS!!!!! What no verticals?? :thumbs:

Rod(NASNUT)

:thumbs: VERY NICE TRACTORS!!!!!

Michcruiser60

That is a nice lookin' 953! I especially like those wheel weight lug bolts! :D

Yeah, I'm supposed to help a guy make some new ones here real soon. :thumbs:

Those bolts are hard to find. :thumbs:

Michcruiser60

Thanks guys. Small herd right now but it might grow here real soon.

Mich60

CHARGER9AUTO

Thanks guys. Small herd right now but it might grow here real soon.

Mich60

MICH60, I think my 1963 Wheel Horse "953" is the BEST tractor I have ever picked up. because they are very rare and hard to find . :thumbs: Ben