Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

Toro Groundsmasters

wh500special

I am faced with investing some time and expense into my old zero turn. Needs a new transmission and with 15 years of operation and god-knows-how-many hours on the thing I hate to throw good money after bad. i already have quite a bit tied up in the thing and I don't expect it to last forever. if I part it out now, I can cut some of my losses. If I wait unitl something else blows (like the engine) I will be in even deeper.

I've shopped locally for a new/used zero turn, but haven't keyed in on anything I want yet. But, every once in a while I see an old Toro Groundsmaster become available, sometimes at an attractive price. I am thinking a 6-footer would be ideal for my purposes, but they make them up to 16' cutting width. Diesel power too in many instances. Price is all over the place, but I regularly see 2500 hour diesel machines in the $2500 +/- neighborhood.

Anybody ever use a Groundsmaster? Anything special to look for or avoid on these things? i know used equipment will always have some kind of "gotcha", but I think if I modernize a little I will be better served than fixing the old 724Z. And, the groundsmasters are built to be commercial units, so should have a longer useful life than landscape quality machines.

The relative lack of versatility compared to a tractor style mower doesn't bother me as I have enough other stuff to accomodate those needs. Besides, usually "purpose built" stuff performs better than things designed with more compromises.

They advertise quite impressive acre/hour productivity with these things too. i can only assume then that they will mow at higher speeds than a normal tractor but are probably slower than a zero turn.

Deere, New Holland, and Kubota also sell similar "out front" mowers that seem equivalent to the Toros. Just not familar with any of them. I like the idea of the mower being way out in the front for trimming ease and visibility. Probably also makes it a good quality cutter too since nothing smashes the grass down before the mower attacks it.

With my zero turn down for now I am back to using a utility tractor and 3pt deck and am not a happy camper. Back to slowly slogging my way through the yard and have to use the weed eater a lot more than with the zero. It wasn't so bad until I got spoiled...

Any thoughts about these things are appreciated.

Steve

T-Mo

Steve,

From a grass cutting perspective, I think the front mowers are hard to beat. They can cover a lot of ground, have near zero turn capabilities, can get under trees and bushes that mid mounts can't, and are built heavy and durable to last. I wouldn't mind having one myself, in fact, almost bought a JD F925. Here, where I work, they use a Ransomes front mower, diesel, with about a 6 foot deck and it can cover a lot of ground, manuever in tight spots (tough not as good as a mid mount) and they put a snow plow and cab on it in the winter to plow the sidewalks and drives.

JD also made a residential version, the F5xx series, but I think if you could afford one, go with one of the commercial units, like the Groundmaster.

Nick

They might be a bit harder to find used in some areas but the Steiner model 220 or 230 would make a nice, long lasting mower. They are also front deck mowers with foot pedal control hydro drive and many more attachments. For year round use a Steiner 4x4 model 420 or newer 430max would be very nice units. They have high mowing speeds plus the ability to add attachments ranging from a loader to a stump grinder. www.steinerturf.com Attachments can be changed in just a few minutes by flipping two levers. One releases the attachment the other releases the drive belt and then you simply drive out of that attachment and into the next.

A very similar model to the steiner would be the Ventrac. www.ventrac.com

I forgot to mention Groundsmaster rear steering axles work well turned around and mounted under the front of a Lawn Ranger. B)

T-Mo

Nick, then Steve wouldn't get the cows as an option. B)

wh500special

Thanks guys. I am going to have to do a little research on the productivity of these things, but that Deere looks pretty good. Not sure what a typical price for something like that usually runs, but the hours are pretty darned low for something like that. Of course, if the meter quit ticking that might also explain what look to be replacement rear/steer tires.

although I am still a 'Horse nut, it is tough to beat Deere for customer service and parts availability....

Those Steiners are tanks. I have never seen one in person but they really look like they are built to last a couple of lifetimes. I think their distribution is pretty limited though - mostly OH from what I can see - so I won't be surprised if I don't stumble into one here in Hoosierville.

Oh, and I think if I look into this I will pass on the cows since my next door neighbor has a dozen I can rustle as needed.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Nick

Looks like your nearest Steiner dealer could be Wabash Equipment.

I liked my Steiners but for low cost of use the best machine I mowed with might have been a 1952 Allis Chalmers CA with a new woods 72" deck. :whistle: Those old low rpm tractors just run forever. B)

T-Mo

Here's a list of F935's that's available from various JD dealers using MachineFinder:

Machine Finder - F935

Looks like price vary from a low of $2450 (4000 hours) to a high of $7500 (1200 hours). It looks like the price on the one on Craig's list is pretty good.

T-Mo

It looks like the list would have to be regenerated - no big deal. Just scrolled down the "Category" field and click on "Lawn & Garden & Commercial Mowing" and then in the "Manufacturer" field click on "John Deere" (it's toward the top) and then in the "Model" field type in "F935" and hit the "Search" tab. There were several listed.