Sign in to follow this  
dsholler

Starter will not engage flywheel.

dsholler

Please forgive me, but I am sure this question has been answered a zillion times here, but I cannot seem to locate it . My starter sounds like it is turning, but the engine does not crank . I can turn the flywheel by hand, but no movement at all when I engage the starter. I am a rather inexperienced mechanic, and it was suggested to me that the bendix might be stuck. This started after a day of blowing snow and getting wet.

So the question is how the heck do I get at it? I have some graphite powder lube, that I thought might help, but there did not seem to be any way to get the starter out? Do I have to take off the oil tube? Can I take the shield off the flywheel side and get at it that way? Is there a simpler way to determine if this is really what is going on before I start taking things apart?

Oh, it is a 87 414 with the original Kohler Magnum 14 in it

meadowfield

It could be either the bendix that is stuck or water in the damper/friction cone. I've had both... A hammer or screwdriver is not the solution. Simply unbolt the starter and take the clip/spring/pinion apart and clean, applying a small amount of grease to the helix on the starter end before reassembling.... I'm guessing others will chip in too!!

Mark

TT

Because of how they are mounted, I think it's easier to access the starter drive on a Magnum single by removing the blower housing. (flywheel cover) :confusion-shrug:

squonk

Yeah,take off the housing and lube he shaft where the gear slides. I had a Tecky on a blower that was rusted stuck real bad. A little pentrant and a little soaking time and it was free.

dsholler

Thanks all. Headed out of town for a biz trip, but will see if I can tackle it this weekend.

dsholler

Ok. Gear was not traveling at all. Spun it around and it is now freed and working. Question is how to lube it. I put some graphite powder on it, but others on here have suggested grease. What would you use?

puddlejumper

I have always used a small amount of grease, BUT I think a dry lubricant such as graphite is actually recommended.