John Voss

8 spd axle seal leaking

redrooster

Will the old seal have metal in it? When i was removing the old seal i picked out very little rubber material before running into metal. I assumed this was the bearing. Is it possible that i do not have the old seal fully removed?

This is all I could remove if the axle seal. The new seal I got measures 15/8". No way will that go back. I'm guessing I have the wrong seal and maybe not getting all of the old one out????

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

IPosted Image

This is all that I could remove of the axle seal. The new seal I got measures 15/8". No way will that go back. I'm guessing I have the wrong seal and maybe not getting all of the old one out????

post-12156-138748727028_thumb.jpg

stevasaurus

redrooster, that new seal that you show in the picture above, looks like the cap seal for the 3 piece RJ/Suburban transmissions.  It sets on the outside of the axle housing in that application.  Did you get that from TORO???   WH # 1257  renamed 83-2840 cost about $18 apiece??  It is the wrong seal for sure.  It should look like the old one. :eusa-think:

redrooster

Is this seal all plastic and rubber

redrooster

Got from toro #6449 . Ill have to go back and beg for mercy and they will be mad at me. Ill be lucky if they are nice and give me an even exchange.

Kelly

The new seal posted above looks like a seal for a hydro trans

• Like 1

Lars

The new seal posted above looks like a seal for a hydro trans

yep thats right!!

gwest_ca

Got from toro #6449 . Ill have to go back and beg for mercy and they will be mad at me. Ill be lucky if they are nice and give me an even exchange.

Curious to know how/why you got the wrong one. Did you order the 6449 or was it the dealer?

Garry

redrooster

I purchased new axle seals from eBay for my 79 8 speed. Does anybody know where I can get the seals for the drive and break pulley? Merry Christmas!

TT

I purchased new axle seals from eBay for my 79 8 speed. Does anybody know where I can get the seals for the drive and break pulley? Merry Christmas!

The seals are still available from Toro.

There's also info and part numbers for aftermarket seals in a pinned post at the top of this forum.

Shortcut link: