608KEB

Snowthrower bearing replacement question.

608KEB

I have a 1978 86-42ST01 snowthrower. I believe the 2 auger bearings are bad, because of the vibration when engaged. The auger itself has some play when I pull on it. Is this the right bearing # 101480 or has the # superseeded to a different number. Is it a torrington bearing? Wondering if someone could give me the right bearing number and mfg. Thanks KB

608KEB

snow thrower 1978 42ST01-10823

Wyattrrp

One more option is thebigbearingstore.com

I first go to rcpw.com and search for the toro part 101480 (which also happens to be the same bearing part# for my 2001 79360 blower). This site offers OEM Toro bearings for $30 each and give an alternative manufacturer and part number, in this case Stens #230045 Spindle Bearing for $20 EA. Click on the "Spindle Bearing" title and get the dimensions of the bearing and Ref# 1630-2RS. Very helfpul.

I then go to thebigbearingstore.com, click "radial ball bearings" or whatever type you need, then click the link to "list all inch" dimension bearings and search for the sizes found earlier. In this case for the 101480 the rcpw site listed sizes were 3/4 ID, 1 5/8 OD, 0.5 thickness. It shows a #1630 that size, which is the Ref# first found at rcpw.com earlier. Checking price and postage cost, small items can be mailed US Postal first class instead of UPS from this site for the lowest cost and is pretty fast delivery, I find at 3-5 days usually.

Order 2 of these 1630-2RS replacement bearings at $6.66 for the pair. US mail to my zipcode only adds $5.64. Total is $12.30. Worth replacing them if in question.

When I replaced the chain a month ago I turned the auger by hand and it rotated smoothly for at least 15-20 revolutions before it slowed to a stop. Very little friction. Felt like no play in the shaft when push pull on the auger. i assume that is the way good bearings should feel and act.

Good luck

Wyatt

• Like 1

608KEB

thanks for the inputs. KB