Sign in to follow this  
Kevbo

I love this by 3M

Kevbo

I forget who but I read someone on the forum recommend this to use to scuff paint as the final step before priming. This works so nicely! I am currently rebuilding a 48" RD deck and this has been fantastic.

7101503_mmm_03193na_pri_larg_zps0d8c8e0c.jpg

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_paint-and-body-scuff-pad-6-x-9-3m_7101503-p?searchTerm=3m#

I will be stocking up on a couple more next time I'm at Advanced Auto.

Save Old Iron

Glad the recommendation helped you out. I buy them by the box from auto body supply stores which makes the final cost to use them much less expensive (less than half that price at the parts store - 20 pads for $24 ).

http://www.autobodyt...77-p-11221.aspx

They come in several grades and perform well for woodworking also.

And while we are on the topic of abrasives, check out this deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pc-KEEN-9-x11-Wet-Dry-Latex-Sandpaper-320grit-50112-/270962442366?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D5468883943836599939%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D280928770982%26

You get 10 packets of 5 sheets each for $10.99. If you order multiple orders, they keep the shipping at $9.95.

I just received 4 grits of 50 sheets each for around $60. That amounts to about 24 cents for 9x11 sheets of wet dry paper.

The quality appears to be the equal of any other name brand supplier of wet / dry paper that sell for upwards of $1 a sheet.

C-101plowerpower

3m scotch brite, gotta love that stuff! did you know it can also be bought per roll?

Diversen%20scotch%20brite.jpg&sa=X&ei=yyMWUYEx4o3TBc2HgLgN&ved=0CAoQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHsgomzVZFD2R1Gh5TKZa1JGA1Agg

Wishin4a416

They really come into there own when it comes to those little nooks and crannies.

• Like 1

Martin

we use scotchbrite a bunch at work. good stuff. great for removing ink and marker on parts before hanging parts for paint at the lines.....

one tip for use is to smooth metal after blasting especially with rougher media such as alum oxide. i have found i get a much smoother powder coat finish when i scuff the blasted surface to smooth out the high spots.

Kelly

We have been using them for ever in body shops, the red is a bit course for automotive paint, we use them before primer, but we use the gray for final scuffing before paint, now this is not a substitute for sand paper, it will not make things flat or sand out imperfections, in fact if used wrong it can create imperfections, they are made to ruff up a surface, so the next layer/coat will have something to bite in to, they work well to get in to tight spots and groves, we use sand paper for every thing else, every tool has a use, use it right and it will do it's job, use it wrong and it may bite you in the butt.

• Like 1

Martin

yes, totally agree kelly. different animal, but still paint and still the same results as you mention- sometimes we need to recoat a piece for some reason or another, light mils, junk in the paint, whatever, and need to scuff up the powder, technique either makes it or breaks it on the recoats.. nothing like having a hot job that needs to go out in an hour and theres 'finger sanding' in the paint....... :hide:

• Like 1

Don1977

You should see what the little 2" round green hook&loop will do to old gaskets on an engine with a 2" air sander. Polished up cleaner than new.

SousaKerry

Use scotchbrite all the time in machine shops to give your parts that final polish and hide surface imperfections. There are many many more grades not just colors. The color is usually just the material of the abrasive.

Also works great for polishing rust off of shafts before assembly

Edited by Sousakerry2